Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: Matrix Productions
Price: $13/1, $24/3
Compatible: iPod 5G, nano
Other than their distinctive artwork, these new "protective skin wraps" for the iPod 5G and nano are unique in that they actually include separate clear screen protectors; they cover most of each iPod's face, back and sides, including the Click Wheel. Non-adhesive, the WraptorSkinz are touted as re-usable, and can be applied with an included hard plastic "squeegee" that helps you to remove air bubbles. They're sold individually for $13, or in 3-packs for $24.
Available in black, brown, orange, and red, this simple leather case design resembles Vaja's iVod 5G cases, but lacks padding and screen or Click Wheel protection. In addition to being custom-fit to the 30GB or 60GB iPods rather than one-size-fits-all, versions with ($53) and without a non-detachable belt clip nub ($50) are available; the included black plastic belt clip uses a locking system to prevent accidental detachment.
Model: iPod Outfit for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
This reinforced vinyl case design for the iPod nano provides nearly complete protection, and is available in six different color and trim combinations, which the company claims are cut from huge patterns to ensure no two cases are precisely the same. Magpie's placed its non-detachable rear belt clip upside down for easier nano viewing, and included a removable keychain for attachment to your clothes, purse, or keys. A super-small Hold switch hole is the only oddity.
Company: Battery Technology Incorporated
Model: i-Zleeve for iPod Video
Price: Approx. $20
Compatible: iPod 5G
This package of two jelly-like rubber sleeves (one each for 30GB and 60GB iPods) comes with a special two-position belt clip. In its standard position, you can attach it (surprise) to your belt, but in its reversed position, you can flip open its bottom to mount your 5G iPod on a table. The components can also be attached to BTI's iPod Battery ii (not included) to provide hours of continuous video playback without the need for you to hand-hold the 5G iPod.
- Apple to reportedly shutter Beats Music? (Update: No)
- Report: iOS 8 adoption rate estimated at 30%
- Apple Watch to come in 4GB, 8GB versions?
- Apple hits 10 million iPhone 6, 6 Plus sales in first weekend
- Video First Look: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus support 2.1A charging, ship with 1A adapters
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iFixit posts teardowns of iPhone 6, 6 Plus
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels