Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Compatible: iPhone 5c
Here's a quick look at two very affordable iPhone 5c cases from Amzer: Pudding TPU Case ($8, aka TPU) and SlimGrip Hybrid Case ($4, aka Hybrid). The former is a take on thermoplastic cases, similar in some ways to Incipio's NGP. Instead of a fully matte finish though, it's glossy on the sides and matte on the back. Eight colors are available, each of which skips button protection, something that's generally present on TPU cases. The openings along the bottom edges of our review units were slightly off-center. SlimGrip Hybrid Case is very much like Reveal from Griffin, or any number of similar cases. It fuses together an opaque soft border and a clear plastic back, exposing most of the rear shell of the iPhone. This one does include button protection.
Company: Heckler Design
Model: Headphone Stand
Compatible: Over-the-Ear Headphones
It's a rare category of accessories, but headphone holders do indeed exist. One year ago, Just Mobile debuted HeadStand, and now Heckler Design has an alternative called Headphone Stand ($29-$49). Made entirely from scraps left over from producing its Windfall Stand, Headphone Stand is a piece of metal with round segments sticking up on either side. They're sized to hold the earcups using only tension, at about the width of a head. Five colors are available at the lower price point, with a polished stainless steel version coming in at a premium.
Models: Lightning Sync and Charge Cable
Compatible: All Lightning-Equipped iPads, iPhones, iPods
Lightning cables are all pretty much the same, but once in a while, designs will stand out and may, for some people, justify spending a few more dollars. Candywirez' Lightning Sync and Charge Cable ($26) may just be that for certain users. Coming in five bright colors, the 1.5 meter cable works has chrome-clad housings around the large Lightning and USB plugs. It's not, however, a flat cable, as the company's website says.
Company: Pear Sports
Model: Training Intelligence
Compatible: iPhone 4S/5/5c/5s, iPod touch 5G
While the bundle looks an awful lot like a rebranded Wahoo sensor with a pair of sports earphones, Pear Sports' new Training Intelligence ($100) is designed as a turnkey workout solution for iOS users. In addition to a chest-mounted Bluetooth 4 heart rate monitor and a pair of sports earphones with a microphone, one-button remote, and ear stabilizers, the Training Intelligence set includes a Pear Training app that provides real-time coaching for weight loss, strength, running, biking, and other activities, using the heart rate information to guide users through the hundreds of integrated workouts it includes. Three sets of ear stabilizers and a carrying case for all of the parts are included in the bundle.
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?