Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Model: Wired Keyboard for iPad
Compatible: iPad, iPad 2, iPad (3rd-Gen)
Following Macally, Logitech is one of the first accessory makers to introduce a wired keyboard for iPad. The company calls its version... you guessed it: Wired Keyboard for iPad ($60). Available in Dock Connector and Lightning versions, the plastic keyboard uses a cord to connect to your iPad. Instead of requiring its own batteries, it draws power directly from your tablet. No stand is included with this one, however, so you'll have to provide your own.
We've seen plenty of novel screen protector application systems, but Tylt's new ALIN ($25) might be one of the smartest yet. Coming with three clear films, an anti-glare film, a cleaning cloth, and a squeegee, the key to the system is the plastic alignment tool. Your iPhone 5 or 5s snaps into it, providing a guide for the installation of the film. Just line the edge of the film up with the edge of the plastic, lay it down, and squeeze out any bubbles.
Milan ($60) is Marware's wallet case for the iPhone 5 and 5s. It's somewhat special in that it uses both genuine leather and real wood in its outer case, and both materials are quite nice. Inside are a shell-style case for the handset, plus a credit card slot, plastic window for your ID, and a small pocket for cash, another credit card, or perhaps even a key. The iPhone can be placed on a viewing angle, although the case will have to be broken in before it maintains its position properly. A screen film and cleaning cloth are included.
Billed as a "premium iPhone wallet case," Moshi's Overture for iPhone 5/5s ($45) combines a fabric or faux leather cover with a shell-style case, three card slots, and, most uniquely, an integrated cleaning cloth. As with many wallet cases, the iPhone simply snaps onto a frame attached to the inside of the rear cover. A neat screen cleaner helps to set Overture apart: the small square of microfiber adheres to a corresponding patch underneath the credit card slots when not in use.
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- Honda announces iPhone-powered car touchscreen
- Report: Apple may launch two 12.9-inch iPads
- Apps: Jetpack Joyride 1.6, The Lonely Beast 123, LoryStripes + Shazam 7.2
- Mophie debuts Powerstation XL battery pack
- China Mobile subsidiary briefly takes iPhone preorders
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- Incipio Atlas ID for iPhone 5s
- JBL Spark Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker
- IK Multimedia iRig KEYS PRO
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts