Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Model: Wired Keyboard for iPad
Compatible: iPad, iPad 2, iPad (3rd-Gen)
Following Macally, Logitech is one of the first accessory makers to introduce a wired keyboard for iPad. The company calls its version... you guessed it: Wired Keyboard for iPad ($60). Available in Dock Connector and Lightning versions, the plastic keyboard uses a cord to connect to your iPad. Instead of requiring its own batteries, it draws power directly from your tablet. No stand is included with this one, however, so you'll have to provide your own.
We've seen plenty of novel screen protector application systems, but Tylt's new ALIN ($25) might be one of the smartest yet. Coming with three clear films, an anti-glare film, a cleaning cloth, and a squeegee, the key to the system is the plastic alignment tool. Your iPhone 5 or 5s snaps into it, providing a guide for the installation of the film. Just line the edge of the film up with the edge of the plastic, lay it down, and squeeze out any bubbles.
Milan ($60) is Marware's wallet case for the iPhone 5 and 5s. It's somewhat special in that it uses both genuine leather and real wood in its outer case, and both materials are quite nice. Inside are a shell-style case for the handset, plus a credit card slot, plastic window for your ID, and a small pocket for cash, another credit card, or perhaps even a key. The iPhone can be placed on a viewing angle, although the case will have to be broken in before it maintains its position properly. A screen film and cleaning cloth are included.
Billed as a "premium iPhone wallet case," Moshi's Overture for iPhone 5/5s ($45) combines a fabric or faux leather cover with a shell-style case, three card slots, and, most uniquely, an integrated cleaning cloth. As with many wallet cases, the iPhone simply snaps onto a frame attached to the inside of the rear cover. A neat screen cleaner helps to set Overture apart: the small square of microfiber adheres to a corresponding patch underneath the credit card slots when not in use.
- Apple TV adds ACC Sports channel
- Apple launches $20/incident post-warranty chat support
- Apple to release 8GB iPhone 5c this week?
- Healthbook app may monitor heart rate, hydration, blood sugar, more
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Glorkian Warrior: Trials Of Glork
- Apple may remove Game Center app in iOS 8
- Some users reporting battery issues with iOS 7.1
- Apps: Fantastical 2 2.05, Paper 1.61, Ridge Racer Slipstream 2.0 + Speedtest 3.2
- Healthbook, Preview, and TextEdit iOS 8 icons leaked
- Report: Apple developing versions of TextEdit, Preview for iOS
- Cobra AirWave 360 Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- Bad Elf Charge & Sync Cable for Lightning Connector
- Magpul Field Case for iPad mini
- Beats Electronics Beats Pill XL Bluetooth Speaker
- Beats Electronics Beats Pill 2.0 Bluetooth Speaker
- Grovemade Bamboo iPad Case for iPad mini
- Soundfreaq Sound Rise SFQ-08 Wireless Speaker with Alarm Clock
- Chil PowerShare Reactor 5.1 Amp Multidevice Charger
- TwelveSouth SurfacePad for iPad mini
- Neptor NP056K Dual Port Portable Battery Charger
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number