Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Compatible: iPad 2, iPad (3rd/4th-Gen)
Taking on the field of of highly protective iPad case options, Kensington has introduced its BlackBelt 3rd Degree Rugged Case ($80). Made for full-sized iPads, the case isn't the prettiest around. It starts with a plastic shell at its base, which is then surrounded by a thick rubber layer; a sheet of screen film is included as well. Button and camera protection is built into the case. A locking anchor allows you to conenct to the company's line of security devices. Optional accessories include a $30 kit with a hand strap and shoulder strap.
Compatible: iPad mini, iPad 2, iPad (3rd/4th-Gen)
Kensington has released two distinct products under the same family name: SafeGrip Rugged Case & Stand for iPad mini ($50) and SafeGrip Security Case & Lock for iPad ($90). The latter model supports second-, third-, and fourth-generation iPads. Although it's not identical, the iPad mini holder reminds us of i-Blason's ArmorBox Kido Series. The foam case has a hinged-handle that can also act as a stand. This one includes a stylus, which can fit into a groove on the back, as well as screen film and an applicator. It only comes in green. SafeGrip Security Case & Lock has a similar outer piece, but the iPad first fits inside a hard plastic case with a locking mechanism. Included with the pack is a ClickSafe lock. This one comes in bright orange, and looks pretty monstrous -- gigantic, and without a particularly good match between the inner and outer layers. The last photo below shows how awkwardly the parts come together.
Compatible: All iPhones, iPods
The i4+ Universal Charging Station ($80) is IDAPT's latest multi-device charging base. The black plastic unit has three charging stations on top, and includes five interchangeable tips: one Lightning, one Dock Connector, two micro-USB, and one mini-USB. You simply plug in the ones you need, connect your accessories, and let them charge. Additional tips can be purchased separately. There's also a USB port on the side, which allows you to charge a fourth device, with your own cable. A wall adapter is included. Updated October 17, 2013: We've opted not to fully review i4+ for the time being, for reasons detailed below.
Model: CableDrop Mini
Compatible: Apple Cables
A sequel to larger cable clips launched several years ago, Bluelounge has released CableDrop Mini ($10). Coming in packs of nine, in white or black plastic, these clips are designed to hold small cords, such as Lightning cables, in place. Each is 0.8" in diameter, and has adhesive on the back for mounting.
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Apple TV software updates to 7.0 with Beats Music channel and redesigned look
- New Cook interview provides insight on Apple Watch development
- Apple releases iOS 8
- Report: Apple to unveil new iPads on October 21
- Foxconn struggling to meet demand for iPhone 6
- Apple to require app-specific passwords for third-party apps in iCloud
- Apple posts guide for moving content from Android to iPhone
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels