Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Compatible: All iPhones, iPods
Offering the same kind of functionality as iFixit's Thirsty Bag, the EVAP Wet Electronics Rescue Pouch ($20) from Kensington is made to help dry out your iPhone or iPod if it ends up getting wet. In the event that you do drop your device in a pool or lake, the idea is that you can put it into the bag, which contains a drying agent the company says is 700% more effective at removing moisture than rice. A humidity indicator will show you, after six to 24 hours, when it's ready to be removed. Of course, there are no guarantees that the bag will keep your phone from being fried, but it has a better chance at restoring a waterlogged device to normal than nothing at all.
There's not much to be said about Beyzacases's Sarach for iPad mini ($180). That price is insane for any case, and considering this one's a sleeve, it's even more out there. But, those are factors we're used to from Beyzacases, and it comes with the same benefits. Particularly, it's the high quality leather we're talking about. The smooth, genuine cowhide is available in black, tan, brown, or camel colors, and sewn together at the top with a thin strap of material. Once the iPad mini is inside a small tab can hold the sleeve shut, but there's no stand functionality like we've seen in some others. For most people, this option will be a non-starter based solely on price. But if you have that kind of money to spend and appreciate the high quality leather this company works with, and prefer a sleeve over a proper case, well check it out.
Company: Thought Out
Model: PED4 Mount CH50
Compatible: iPhone 5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
The latest in Thought Out's iterative line of stands and mounts is PED4 Mount CH50 for iPhone 5/5c/5s and iPod touch 5G ($50). This one is made to be permanently attached to a surface, using either the three included screws, or by using an optional AdPad 300 ($15) adhesive mounting kit. The mount is attached to a curved metal pole via a ball joint, with another at the other end connecting the iPhone holder. Its five arms are adjustable, allowing you to use iPhones and iPods with or without cases.
Model: dockBoss air
Compatible: All Bluetooth-Equipped iPads, iPhones + iPods
Recently updated from an earlier, somewhat different-looking version, the 2013 version of dockBoss air ($35) from CableJive is the latest wireless music receiver designed to help repurpose Dock Connector speakers. The small dongle connects to Apple's 30-pin plug, adding Bluetooth connectivity, and drawing power from the speaker rather than requiring its own energy source. CableJive says this latest edition offers clearer audio, bigger volume, one-touch Bluetooth pairing, and remote control passthrough.
- Logitech debuts Type+ Keyboard for iPad Air
- Upcoming iPad Air to have gold color option
- Apple Q4 earnings call coming October 20
- European magazine gets blacklisted by Apple for posting “Bendgate” video
- “Reset All Settings” in iOS 8 may also erase iCloud Drive content
- Apple’s tax deal in Ireland may be illegal according to EU regulators
- Apple releases first iOS 8.1 beta to developers
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus hit China Oct. 17, pre-orders Oct. 10
- Report: iOS 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 in simultaneous development
- French fashion retailer Colette to hold in-store Apple event
- Spigen Capsule, Neo Hybrid / EX / Metal + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6
- Griffin Survivor All-Terrain, Core, and Slim for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Griffin Identity, Reveal cases for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Orbotix Ollie by Sphero
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic HD
- JBL Charge 2 Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 In-Ear Headphones
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Speck CandyShell, Card, Grip + Inked cases for iPhone 6
- Incipio DualPro Shine, Edge for iPhone 6 + NGP for iPhone 6 Plus
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch