Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: Heckler Design
Compatible: iPad mini
Likely more useful for business than individuals, Heckler Design's HighSign for iPad mini ($59) is still a neat accessory. It's designed to be mounted on a wall, with the tablet semi-permanently housed inside. The iPad rests inside a backplate, with a metal frame screwing on over the top, but leaving access to the Home button and front-facing camera. Those screws are tamper resistant, and come with a special assembly key. To mount it, you must screw a square installation plate into the wall.
Compatible: All iPhones, iPods
Offering the same kind of functionality as iFixit's Thirsty Bag, the EVAP Wet Electronics Rescue Pouch ($20) from Kensington is made to help dry out your iPhone or iPod if it ends up getting wet. In the event that you do drop your device in a pool or lake, the idea is that you can put it into the bag, which contains a drying agent the company says is 700% more effective at removing moisture than rice. A humidity indicator will show you, after six to 24 hours, when it's ready to be removed. Of course, there are no guarantees that the bag will keep your phone from being fried, but it has a better chance at restoring a waterlogged device to normal than nothing at all.
There's not much to be said about Beyzacases's Sarach for iPad mini ($180). That price is insane for any case, and considering this one's a sleeve, it's even more out there. But, those are factors we're used to from Beyzacases, and it comes with the same benefits. Particularly, it's the high quality leather we're talking about. The smooth, genuine cowhide is available in black, tan, brown, or camel colors, and sewn together at the top with a thin strap of material. Once the iPad mini is inside a small tab can hold the sleeve shut, but there's no stand functionality like we've seen in some others. For most people, this option will be a non-starter based solely on price. But if you have that kind of money to spend and appreciate the high quality leather this company works with, and prefer a sleeve over a proper case, well check it out.
Company: Thought Out
Model: PED4 Mount CH50
Compatible: iPhone 5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
The latest in Thought Out's iterative line of stands and mounts is PED4 Mount CH50 for iPhone 5/5c/5s and iPod touch 5G ($50). This one is made to be permanently attached to a surface, using either the three included screws, or by using an optional AdPad 300 ($15) adhesive mounting kit. The mount is attached to a curved metal pole via a ball joint, with another at the other end connecting the iPhone holder. Its five arms are adjustable, allowing you to use iPhones and iPods with or without cases.
- Apple content delivery network for faster downloads now live in US, Europe
- Apps of the Week: NPR One, Crazy Taxi: City Rush, Interactive Alphabet 4.0 + more
- Report: Apple TV relaunch not coming this year
- Report: Apple eliminating positions of some Beats employees
- Russian government seeks Apple source code
- Square announces new Reader for chip cards
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad Air
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks