Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Compatible: All iPhones, iPods
Offering the same kind of functionality as iFixit's Thirsty Bag, the EVAP Wet Electronics Rescue Pouch ($20) from Kensington is made to help dry out your iPhone or iPod if it ends up getting wet. In the event that you do drop your device in a pool or lake, the idea is that you can put it into the bag, which contains a drying agent the company says is 700% more effective at removing moisture than rice. A humidity indicator will show you, after six to 24 hours, when it's ready to be removed. Of course, there are no guarantees that the bag will keep your phone from being fried, but it has a better chance at restoring a waterlogged device to normal than nothing at all.
There's not much to be said about Beyzacases's Sarach for iPad mini ($180). That price is insane for any case, and considering this one's a sleeve, it's even more out there. But, those are factors we're used to from Beyzacases, and it comes with the same benefits. Particularly, it's the high quality leather we're talking about. The smooth, genuine cowhide is available in black, tan, brown, or camel colors, and sewn together at the top with a thin strap of material. Once the iPad mini is inside a small tab can hold the sleeve shut, but there's no stand functionality like we've seen in some others. For most people, this option will be a non-starter based solely on price. But if you have that kind of money to spend and appreciate the high quality leather this company works with, and prefer a sleeve over a proper case, well check it out.
Company: Thought Out
Model: PED4 Mount CH50
Compatible: iPhone 5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
The latest in Thought Out's iterative line of stands and mounts is PED4 Mount CH50 for iPhone 5/5c/5s and iPod touch 5G ($50). This one is made to be permanently attached to a surface, using either the three included screws, or by using an optional AdPad 300 ($15) adhesive mounting kit. The mount is attached to a curved metal pole via a ball joint, with another at the other end connecting the iPhone holder. Its five arms are adjustable, allowing you to use iPhones and iPods with or without cases.
Model: dockBoss air
Compatible: All Bluetooth-Equipped iPads, iPhones + iPods
Recently updated from an earlier, somewhat different-looking version, the 2013 version of dockBoss air ($35) from CableJive is the latest wireless music receiver designed to help repurpose Dock Connector speakers. The small dongle connects to Apple's 30-pin plug, adding Bluetooth connectivity, and drawing power from the speaker rather than requiring its own energy source. CableJive says this latest edition offers clearer audio, bigger volume, one-touch Bluetooth pairing, and remote control passthrough.
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Apple faces class action suit in California for labor violations
- Apple, AT&T now sending $40 checks to some iPad 3G owners
- Apple denies iOS “back door” access in new report
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q3 2014: 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads, 2.9M iPods, $37.4B revenue
- Simpsons World, FXNOW coming to Apple TV?
- WSJ: Apple asking suppliers to make 70-80M new iPhones this year
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks