Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
PureGear has debuted several new cases for the iPhone 6 already, starting with the DualTek Extreme Shock Case ($35), a matte plastic and rubber case with a small piece of shock absorbing material in the shell. The HIP Case+ ($35) is a two-piece multi-use case. A simple plastic shell houses the iPhone 6, offering a kickstand, but little coverage. However, that shell can be inserted into a larger and more protective holster, which also includes two slots for ID or credit cards. Finally, the Slim Shell ($25) is a thinner one-piece case made from a mix of plastic and softer rubber, capable of flexing to accommodate insertion and removal of the iPhone 6.
Compatible: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
Third-party case makers aren't the only ones releasing iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus cases before the devices have actually come out — Apple's official iPhone 6 Leather Case ($45) and iPhone 6 Plus Leather Case ($49) are half of Apple's case options for the company's new iPhones, alongside less expensive silicone cases. Basically a real leather shell, the Leather Case is similar to Apple's prior-generation leather iPhone 5s Case, only at a higher price, yet leaving the bottom of each phone completely exposed. Microfiber on the inside keeps your device from getting scratched during insertion and removal. Five color options include Olive Brown, Black, Midnight Blue, Soft Pink, and (PRODUCT) RED exteriors. Both cases are thin enough not to radically change the sizes of the iPhones, enabling them to slip into and out of pockets.
Compatible: iPhone 6
Following a number of other companies, OtterBox has already introduced cases for the iPhone 6 before the device officially hits the market. Commuter ($40-$45) uses two pieces — a rubber inner layer and hard plastic shell — to keep the iPhone 6 safe. The rubber layer covers the Lightning port and headphone jack when not in use for extra protection. Users can order separate shell and cover colors to make their own color combinations. Additionally, the case comes with a stick-on screen protector, cloth, and a card for applying the screen protector. Defender ($60) uses triple-layer protection, with complete port protection, a built-in screen protector, and a holster. This version even has a thin plastic membrane covering the Touch ID sensor. Last but not least, Symmetry ($40-$45) uses the same one-piece plastic-and-rubber design and shock absorbing interior found in the case's previous iteration; it remains one of the slimmest OtterBox cases for iPhone. Commuter and Symmetry offer fancier graphic designs at higher price points.
Currently available in five color schemes and also referred to as "iPhone 6 Case - Mountable," Rokform's new Sport v3 for iPhone 6 ($39) is a hard plastic and rubber case with some unique features. The case feels really solid and is pitched as shock-absorbant, with full button protection and all the expected holes. Each case ships with two replaceable back panels -- one with an removable magnet pre-inserted, the other with a hole for attachment to Rokform's traditional wall mounting system, plus a recess to optionally hold the magnet. If you want to use magnets for mounting, a 3M adhesive-backed dot magnet mounting point and one wet cleaning wipe are included for attachment to your choice of surfaces. That said, Rokform's instructions note that the "magnet will disable NFC on phone," hence your ability to remove it from each of the mounts if you don't want it near your phone. A wrist strap is also included in the package.
- Apple Watch to come in 4GB, 8GB versions?
- Apple hits 10 million iPhone 6, 6 Plus sales in first weekend
- Video First Look: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus support 2.1A charging, ship with 1A adapters
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iFixit posts teardowns of iPhone 6, 6 Plus
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple launches new privacy webpage
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels