Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
In time for the World Cup, Uniq Creation has released a huge new collection of cases based on the flags of participating countries. Sportif is available for iPad Air ($50), iPad mini ($45), and iPhone 5/5s ($27). The tablet cases are pretty standard folios with hard plastic shells. Their covers are one color, with two strips running down the right edge. As for the iPhone case, it's reminiscent of Spigen SGP's Slim Armor. The core is rubber, with a plastic plate that fits onto the back and wraps around the sides. That shield can be removed to insert a credit card for tap and go payments.
Although it appears to borrow heavily from other OEM-designed iPad cases we've seen over the years, Kujali's Classic for iPad mini (£30/~$50) is noteworthy for the company's charity aspect; we won't offer a full review, but want to mention the option. A "leather styled" folio -- it seems to be faux leather -- the case is lined with suede on the inside, and has an elastic handle on the interior of the front cover, along with two viewing angle ridges. The tablet is held in a two-piece shell on the right side. It first gets fitted into a thin rubber skin, which then goes into the hard plastic piece that's attached to the case. Button coverage is provided, as are flaps over the ports. For every case Kujali sells, it donates a mosquito net to charity, with the intention of protecting African children from malaria.
Compatible: iPad Air, iPad mini
Following a version for iPhone 5/5s, PureGear has released its PureTek Roll-On Screen Shield Kit for iPad Air and iPad mini ($20-$25). Available in antiglare and anti-fingerprint finishes for both sizes, the film is most notable for its included installation tray. Instead of having to try to line up a sheet of film, you simply insert the tablet into the plastic tray, pull the film over the screen, and used the included roller to work out the bubbles. It doesn't extend quite as far to the edges as most films do, but we found the process easy. A cleaning cloth is included.
Winner of our 2014 Overall Best of Show Award at CES, ZeroChroma's new Folio Slide for iPad mini ($70) bridges the gap between folio-style and playthrough iPad cases that has existed since Apple released the first tablet in 2010. It arrives with a front lid that slides into a groove on the left side, capable of automatically locking and unlocking the mini's screen as it closes and opens, but if you don't want to use the lid, you just pull it off. Folio Slide then becomes a substantially protective playthrough case with full screen, button, and port access. The killer feature is ZeroChroma's new Flux Stand, which replaces the awesome prior stand with a similarly rotatable and angle-adjustable alternative, enabling you to prop up the iPad mini on any choice of angles and orientations. Planned for February availability, Folio Slide will also come in an iPad Air version that we're also looking forward to testing.
- Apple: Celeb photo hack ‘very targeted attack’ on accounts
- Apple investigating “iCloud” celebrity photo hack
- Elgato debuts Eve home sensor product line
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Cambridge Audio Go v2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today