Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: DICE Electronics
Prices: $160 (Kit) + $60 (Cradle)
Compatible: All Dock Conneting iPods
Connecting to a separately sold universal mounting cradle that's equipped with Dock Connector and video output ports (for color 4G and 5G iPods only), DICE Electronics' latest series of iPod Integration Kits ($160) are vehicle-specific - very vehicle-specific. These kits provide a line-quality audio connection and charging interface for your Dock Connecting iPod, allowing you to control your iPod through your car's existing stereo system. Some cars support the display of iPod text on their radio screens; others don't.
The Integration Kits consist of a box and two cables (iPod to box, box to radio), and include an aux-in port for use with non-iPod devices such as satellite radios, while the Cradle with Video-Out ($60) comes with plastic adapters for full-sized iPods, minis, and nanos. You have to provide the vehicle-specific mounting hardware yourself, and most likely get a professional installer for the Kit.
Price: $59-69 online, $40 (Level 1) in-store
Compatible: iPod 4G, 5G, nano*
This software package for the iPod - also compatible with other screened portable devices - provides photographic on-screen workouts for strength, weight loss, endurance, flexibility, heart health, and yoga, spread out across 6 days of different activities. PumpOne's goal is to provide the on-screen equivalent of a personal trainer that won't interrupt your music playback, and can be viewed at your personal pace. Tip screens give you instructions to help you properly perform the depicted actions. Three versions are available - Level 1 to Level 3 - and sold for $59 to $69 a piece online, or $179 collectively. The Level 1 box shown here is available for $40 at retail stores.
Following up on last year's shuffle Sweats for iPod shuffle, iMojo has returned with nano Sweats, two-packs of machine washable terrycloth forearm bands with iPod nano holders and cord managers built in to their fronts. Now available in two sizes - "one size fits most" and XL - the nano Sweats come in two colors (white and/or black), and allow you to insert either 1G or 2G nanos upside down or rightside up, depending on your preference. Still sold in two-packs, the new version is more expensive than before, and includes a clear plastic iPod nano shield on its front surface.
Company: Gemini Sound Products
Compatible: iPod 3G, 4G, 5G, mini, nano
If you've seen Numark's 2005 mixing product iDJ, you alredy have the basic idea behind Gemini's iTRAX, a dual-dock mixing station for iPods designed to allow disc jockeys to blend two iPods worth of music together, and into audio coming from non-iPod sources. In addition to separate, top-mounted left and right iPod controls for gain, high, mid and low EQ adjustments, volume faders and red LED-based VU meters, the top also has a crossfader, master volume control, and switches to toggle between iPod and line-inputs for each audio channel. Gemini's design allows you to replace the crossfader if you prefer - the company's RG45 is standard, while an RG45-PRO adds scratching.
iTRAX also includes front-mounted mic and headphone ports, volume and EQ controls, a cue selection fader and cue volume control, plus rear ports for multiple audio inputs, video out (for iPod 2 only), and USB connectivity if you want to use the system as a computer dock for both iPods. Three sizes of cradles - iPod, mini, and nano - are included for both docks.
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Hitman GO
- Alleged next-gen iPad Air front panel leaked
- Apps: Baby Bundle, Breeze, Helpouts + iOOTP Baseball 2014
- Apple selling refurbished iPad mini with Retina display
- Yahoo aims to become default iOS Safari search engine
- Apple working with Shazam on iOS song discovery feature
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Hyundai bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air
- Rokform Fuzion+ for iPhone 5/5s
- Incipio Tek-nical for iPad Air
- Lepow ADD Power Bank
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac