Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: H2O Audio
Compatible: iPod 5G
Highly similar in design to the company's previously released Waterproof Housing for iPod nano, the new Waterproof Housing for iPod (with video) pairs a 10-foot submersible watertight enclosure with an adjustable neoprene armband and interior sizing brackets (plus screwdriver) for 30GB and 60GB iPods. As before, you slide your iPod into the hard case, shut it with a lock at the bottom, and connect waterproof headphones - still sold separately - to listen to your music underwater. The specially designed mechanical Click Wheel cover provides full access to the iPod's controls (except the Hold switch) while submerged. A Swimbelt for the case is available as an option.
Model: iPod Leather Flipcase
Compatible: iPod nano
Though highly similar to OEM leather cases we've previously seen, the Rhinoskin iPod Leather Case (aka iPod Leather Flipcase) for iPod nano adds a matching leather wrist strap to the established plastic belt clip, metal belt clip nub, and magnetic front flap clasp we've seen before. The case opens to reveal two plastic clips that hold the nano in place using pressure.
This simple plastic shell uses a rotary dial to let you adjust the length of any pair of headphone cords, then attach the spool to your clothes with a rear belt clip. The winding process is extremely simple; aided by a unique pop-open design that relies upon the integrated belt clip to lock and unlock the front piece of the shell.
Prices: $150 (Wireless Dock + HD Audio Receiver), $50 (Receiver only)
Compatible: iPod 3G, 4G, 5G, mini, nano
As an alternate or additional component for the iDea Wireless Home Dock and HD-Audio Headset previously reviewed on iLounge, FriendTech's Wireless HD-Audio Receiver is sold for $50 without the $150 Wireless Home Dock, or free with the purchase of the unit. It uses 2.4GHz radio frequency technology to receive audio broadcast from your iPod inside the Wireless Home Dock, and pipes that audio through to your stereo system. A power supply and audio cables are included in the package.
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- Beijing police bust massive iPhone counterfeiting operation
- Report: Apple interested in BMW i3 as ‘starting point’ for its own car
- Nike to offer customers cash in proposed FuelBand settlement
- Apple Watch coming to Best Buy on August 7
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Xivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?