Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: H2O Audio
Compatible: iPod 5G
Highly similar in design to the company's previously released Waterproof Housing for iPod nano, the new Waterproof Housing for iPod (with video) pairs a 10-foot submersible watertight enclosure with an adjustable neoprene armband and interior sizing brackets (plus screwdriver) for 30GB and 60GB iPods. As before, you slide your iPod into the hard case, shut it with a lock at the bottom, and connect waterproof headphones - still sold separately - to listen to your music underwater. The specially designed mechanical Click Wheel cover provides full access to the iPod's controls (except the Hold switch) while submerged. A Swimbelt for the case is available as an option.
Model: iPod Leather Flipcase
Compatible: iPod nano
Though highly similar to OEM leather cases we've previously seen, the Rhinoskin iPod Leather Case (aka iPod Leather Flipcase) for iPod nano adds a matching leather wrist strap to the established plastic belt clip, metal belt clip nub, and magnetic front flap clasp we've seen before. The case opens to reveal two plastic clips that hold the nano in place using pressure.
This simple plastic shell uses a rotary dial to let you adjust the length of any pair of headphone cords, then attach the spool to your clothes with a rear belt clip. The winding process is extremely simple; aided by a unique pop-open design that relies upon the integrated belt clip to lock and unlock the front piece of the shell.
Prices: $150 (Wireless Dock + HD Audio Receiver), $50 (Receiver only)
Compatible: iPod 3G, 4G, 5G, mini, nano
As an alternate or additional component for the iDea Wireless Home Dock and HD-Audio Headset previously reviewed on iLounge, FriendTech's Wireless HD-Audio Receiver is sold for $50 without the $150 Wireless Home Dock, or free with the purchase of the unit. It uses 2.4GHz radio frequency technology to receive audio broadcast from your iPod inside the Wireless Home Dock, and pipes that audio through to your stereo system. A power supply and audio cables are included in the package.
- Report: New 12.9” iPad will feature Force Touch, Bluetooth stylus, NFC
- Apple asking music labels to kill Spotify’s free streaming tier
- Apple updates support article confirming Apple Watch tattoo issue
- Apple reportedly hires four more producers from BBC Radio 1
- Limited Apple Watch supplies due to faulty taptic engine?
- Twitter CEO hints at larger Spotlight integration
- Problem with iPad app grounds American Airlines flights
- Apple rejects Apple Watch apps that just tell time, requires independent approval for certain health apps
- Users with arm tattoos report problems with Apple Watch sensors
- China outpaces U.S. in iPhone sales for first time
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?