Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: H2O Audio
Compatible: iPod 5G
Highly similar in design to the company's previously released Waterproof Housing for iPod nano, the new Waterproof Housing for iPod (with video) pairs a 10-foot submersible watertight enclosure with an adjustable neoprene armband and interior sizing brackets (plus screwdriver) for 30GB and 60GB iPods. As before, you slide your iPod into the hard case, shut it with a lock at the bottom, and connect waterproof headphones - still sold separately - to listen to your music underwater. The specially designed mechanical Click Wheel cover provides full access to the iPod's controls (except the Hold switch) while submerged. A Swimbelt for the case is available as an option.
Model: iPod Leather Flipcase
Compatible: iPod nano
Though highly similar to OEM leather cases we've previously seen, the Rhinoskin iPod Leather Case (aka iPod Leather Flipcase) for iPod nano adds a matching leather wrist strap to the established plastic belt clip, metal belt clip nub, and magnetic front flap clasp we've seen before. The case opens to reveal two plastic clips that hold the nano in place using pressure.
This simple plastic shell uses a rotary dial to let you adjust the length of any pair of headphone cords, then attach the spool to your clothes with a rear belt clip. The winding process is extremely simple; aided by a unique pop-open design that relies upon the integrated belt clip to lock and unlock the front piece of the shell.
Prices: $150 (Wireless Dock + HD Audio Receiver), $50 (Receiver only)
Compatible: iPod 3G, 4G, 5G, mini, nano
As an alternate or additional component for the iDea Wireless Home Dock and HD-Audio Headset previously reviewed on iLounge, FriendTech's Wireless HD-Audio Receiver is sold for $50 without the $150 Wireless Home Dock, or free with the purchase of the unit. It uses 2.4GHz radio frequency technology to receive audio broadcast from your iPod inside the Wireless Home Dock, and pipes that audio through to your stereo system. A power supply and audio cables are included in the package.
- Report: Developers losing interest in making watchOS apps
- Source: New AI set to give Siri a massive improvement
- India officially rejects Apple’s bid to sell used iPhones
- Apple’s new ‘Echo rival’ may feature a camera
- Apple ‘working rapidly’ to extend Apple Pay to more countries
- Report: Apple’s Siri-based Amazon Echo competitor will be a new Apple TV
- Report: Apple SVP Eddy Cue proposed bid to buy Time Warner
- Beta testing for Pokémon GO begins in the U.S.
- Apple’s plan to open stores in India hits a snag (Update: India’s finance minister ratifies ruling)
- Apple looking into charging stations for electric cars
- OtterBox Symmetry Series Hybrid Case for 12.9” iPad Pro
- Logitech Logi BASE Charging Stand for iPad Pro
- Twelve South TimePorter for Apple Watch
- August Doorbell Cam
- August Smart Lock HomeKit enabled + Smart Keypad
- ecobee3 HomeKit-enabled smart Wi-Fi thermostat
- Zagg Now Cam
- Yantouch EyE Portable Wireless Speaker
- Netatmo Wind Gauge
- Incipio Stashback for iPhone 6/6s
- Filling the Gap: A look at third-party HomeKit apps
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 9.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.3
- Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
- Inside the betas: What’s new in iOS 9.3 and tvOS 9.2 (Updated)
- Life with HomeKit: Our experiences with Apple’s home automation system
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)