Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: Griffin Technology
Compatible: iPod nano
Griffin's latest version of iClear - previously debuted for iPod 5G and shuffle - is a similar combination of clear hard plastic front and frosted clear hard plastic back. The two pieces snap together to form a shield around most of your nano, leaving its Hold switch, bottom ports, and Click Wheel exposed. Updated November 2, 2006: Griffin now has a new version of iClear for second-generation iPod nanos, shown in the second set of photos below.
Company: Griffin Technology
Compatible: iPod 5G, nano
Griffin's new Tempo cases for iPod 5G and nano are largely neoprene armbands, designed to let you exercise with the iPod strapped to your bicep. With unusually generous Velcro straps and elastic strap holders to minimize dangle, Tempo can fit the largest of arms with ease. Clear plastic lets you see and use the iPod while inside; the nano version lets you attach the Nike + iPod Sport Kit without a problem. An integrated cord manager lets you wind and secure as much of your headphone cabling as you prefer, while reflective stripes on the left and right of the clear face add to your safety while running at night.
Company: H2O Audio
Compatible: iPod shuffle
First announced at CES in January, H2O Audio's Waterproof Housing for iPod shuffle has just arrived. Taking a lower-tech approach than its exceedingly sophisticated predecessors for 4G, mini and nano iPods, the shuffle case is made primarily from frosted clear hard rubber, and uses a hard plastic insert to hold the iPod and seal the enclosure against water to a depth of 10 feet. Removing the insert is an intentional challenge, requiring use of the mini-lanyard and finger pressure; you'll also need to turn the shuffle on before you place it inside. H2O includes an armband and Super O-Lube to keep the seal tight; as before, the company's Waterproof Headphones are sold separately.
Company: Speck Products
Compatible: iPod 4G, 5G, nano, mini
An evolution of the company's earlier MobileCharge, MobileTune expands Speck's car interior-matching charger with FM transmission capabilities. Offering tuning from 88.1 to 107.9FM, MobileTune has a chrome tuning knob on its face, surrounding a small LCD screen with digits. It's compatible with all 4G, 5G, mini and nano iPod models.
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2014 earnings call
- Apple Q3 2014: 35.2M iPhones, 13.3M iPads, 2.9M iPods, $37.4B revenue
- Simpsons World, FXNOW coming to Apple TV?
- WSJ: Apple asking suppliers to make 70-80M new iPhones this year
- Apple ‘iTime’ patent includes wristband sensors
- Tips app debuts in iOS 8 beta 4
- iTunes 12 makes its first appearance with iOS-style design
- Apple releases fourth beta of iOS 8
- Forensic scientist notes iOS ‘back doors’
- Eighth annual iTunes Festival announced
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads