Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Models: iDea Home Dock
Compatible: iPod 3G, 4G, 5G, mini, nano
As a physically similar but electronically stripped-down version of the company's previously reviewed Wireless Home Dock, the standard FriendTech iDea Home Dock lets you dock an iPod and/or Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP) inside, then output its audio and video through line-quality audio and video outputs while recharging the media player. The Home Dock is black in color, and includes a matching remote control similar to the one packed in with the Wireless Home Dock.
Company: Griffin Technology
Compatible: iPod nano
Griffin's latest version of iClear - previously debuted for iPod 5G and shuffle - is a similar combination of clear hard plastic front and frosted clear hard plastic back. The two pieces snap together to form a shield around most of your nano, leaving its Hold switch, bottom ports, and Click Wheel exposed. Updated November 2, 2006: Griffin now has a new version of iClear for second-generation iPod nanos, shown in the second set of photos below.
Company: Griffin Technology
Compatible: iPod 5G, nano
Griffin's new Tempo cases for iPod 5G and nano are largely neoprene armbands, designed to let you exercise with the iPod strapped to your bicep. With unusually generous Velcro straps and elastic strap holders to minimize dangle, Tempo can fit the largest of arms with ease. Clear plastic lets you see and use the iPod while inside; the nano version lets you attach the Nike + iPod Sport Kit without a problem. An integrated cord manager lets you wind and secure as much of your headphone cabling as you prefer, while reflective stripes on the left and right of the clear face add to your safety while running at night.
Company: H2O Audio
Compatible: iPod shuffle
First announced at CES in January, H2O Audio's Waterproof Housing for iPod shuffle has just arrived. Taking a lower-tech approach than its exceedingly sophisticated predecessors for 4G, mini and nano iPods, the shuffle case is made primarily from frosted clear hard rubber, and uses a hard plastic insert to hold the iPod and seal the enclosure against water to a depth of 10 feet. Removing the insert is an intentional challenge, requiring use of the mini-lanyard and finger pressure; you'll also need to turn the shuffle on before you place it inside. H2O includes an armband and Super O-Lube to keep the seal tight; as before, the company's Waterproof Headphones are sold separately.
- Apple now selling SIM-free iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- AT&T opens up Wi-Fi calling for iPhone
- Battery impact of Samsung vs TSMC A9 chips overestimated? (Update: Apple response)
- Apple TV, iPad Pro to be sold online in late October, in stores early November?
- iBooks adds exclusive enhanced editions of Harry Potter series
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Antitrust monitor: Apple is ‘its own worst enemy’
- Report: Apple holding $181.1 billion in offshore tax havens
- Apple releases fourth iOS 9.1 beta, third tvOS beta to developers
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Bluetooth Speaker
- Parrot Airborne Night and Airborne Cargo Drones
- Griffin Survivor Journey and Survivor Summit for iPhone 6/6s
- Parrot Jumping Night and Jumping Race Drones
- Trident Case Aegis Pro Case for iPhone 6/6s
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?