Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Model: Alumor nano
Price: $18 (via Vinko’s Treasures)
Compatible: iPod nano
Only vaguely similar in concept to the company's earlier Alumor Cases for 5G iPods, and apparently based almost entirely on its earlier Luxury Metal Case for iPod nano (iLounge rating: B-), Capdase's Alumor Metal Case for iPod nano features a micro-thin layer of anodized aluminum on top of a hard plastic two-piece shell. The aluminum comes in one of four colors - black, dark silver, blue, or pink - and the plastic in matching black or white, with a color-coded lanyard necklace. Clear plastic cord managers are also included, but puzzlingly, no screen or Click Wheel protection comes with the case.
Model: 4-in-1 Car Charger for iPod
Compatible: iPod 4G, 5G, mini, nano, shuffle
This seemingly simple combination of a car charger bulb and detachable iPod cable actually hides a few interesting features. The iPod cable, shaped to fit an iPod nano but physically compatible with all Dock Connecting iPods, includes a pass-through port on its bottom for use with other third-party accessories, such as FM transmitters. It can detach to let you charge any USB device, such as an iPod shuffle or cell phone, assuming you have the right USB cable. And the cable can be used indoors - including with an FM transmitter - while you're charging your iPod from a USB port or separate wall charger (sold separately).
Company: Power Support
Compatible: All iPods except iPod shuffle
The idea is excellent: if you're tired of dealing with sheets of protective film for your iPod, Power Support's new Liquid Titanium Screen Protector offers a solution - literally. For the $20 asking price, you'll get a enough special protective fluid for multiple applications, and a roughly 4-inch by 4-inch microfiber cloth. A few drops of the solution are applied to the iPod's screen (and the rest of its acrylic, if you desire), then rubbed on with your finger. After 10 seconds of drying time, use the cloth to polish off the iPod's face. We've been very impressed so far - the fluid makes a scratched iPod's screen look better than it started, and Power Support claims that it will protect the iPod for six months before another application is required. If it works as promised, we'll be very glad to say goodbye to all those sheets of film. Power Support advises us that Liquid Titanium will be on its website soon.
Company: Power Support
Compatible: iPod nano
Designed as an alternative to hard plastic nano shells from companies such as Otter and H2O Audio, Power Support's Water-Resistant Case for iPod nano ($36) is lightweight and easy to carry, a rubber tube that shields the nano's entire body from the sort of splashes and sweat you'll deal with during jogs outside and/or in the rain. It's not designed to be submerged in water. A headphone port extension cable is included to let you use any pair of earphones you prefer; just be sure they're not going to break upon water exposure. You can also wrap your headphone cord around cord management grooves molded into the case's top and bottom sides. Power Support advises us that the Water-Resistant Case will be on its website soon.
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today