Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Model: 4-in-1 Car Charger for iPod
Compatible: iPod 4G, 5G, mini, nano, shuffle
This seemingly simple combination of a car charger bulb and detachable iPod cable actually hides a few interesting features. The iPod cable, shaped to fit an iPod nano but physically compatible with all Dock Connecting iPods, includes a pass-through port on its bottom for use with other third-party accessories, such as FM transmitters. It can detach to let you charge any USB device, such as an iPod shuffle or cell phone, assuming you have the right USB cable. And the cable can be used indoors - including with an FM transmitter - while you're charging your iPod from a USB port or separate wall charger (sold separately).
Company: Power Support
Compatible: All iPods except iPod shuffle
The idea is excellent: if you're tired of dealing with sheets of protective film for your iPod, Power Support's new Liquid Titanium Screen Protector offers a solution - literally. For the $20 asking price, you'll get a enough special protective fluid for multiple applications, and a roughly 4-inch by 4-inch microfiber cloth. A few drops of the solution are applied to the iPod's screen (and the rest of its acrylic, if you desire), then rubbed on with your finger. After 10 seconds of drying time, use the cloth to polish off the iPod's face. We've been very impressed so far - the fluid makes a scratched iPod's screen look better than it started, and Power Support claims that it will protect the iPod for six months before another application is required. If it works as promised, we'll be very glad to say goodbye to all those sheets of film. Power Support advises us that Liquid Titanium will be on its website soon.
Company: Power Support
Compatible: iPod nano
Designed as an alternative to hard plastic nano shells from companies such as Otter and H2O Audio, Power Support's Water-Resistant Case for iPod nano ($36) is lightweight and easy to carry, a rubber tube that shields the nano's entire body from the sort of splashes and sweat you'll deal with during jogs outside and/or in the rain. It's not designed to be submerged in water. A headphone port extension cable is included to let you use any pair of earphones you prefer; just be sure they're not going to break upon water exposure. You can also wrap your headphone cord around cord management grooves molded into the case's top and bottom sides. Power Support advises us that the Water-Resistant Case will be on its website soon.
Sold in canvas ($17) and sheepskin leather ($18) variants, the Wallet for iPod nano is exactly what you'd expect from the name - a bare-bones wallet that holds the nano on its interior left side, with a card-slotted flap that covers nano's face when the case is closed. An integrated screen protector is provided, but there are holes at the top and bottom of the nano, as well as its Click Wheel, and no clasp is there to hold the case closed. Black and pink leather versions are available, the black one with a red, U2 iPod-style interior, along with "urban camo" and "pink camo" canvas cases.
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Pac-Man Friends
- Apple removes Secret app from Brazilian App Store
- Alleged Foxconn leak reveals iPhone 6 dimensions
- Reuters: Backlight redesign disrupted iPhone 6 production
- Apps of the Week: Star Walk 2, Swing Copters, Vine 2.5 + more
- Apple releases new iTunes 12 beta
- Alleged rear shell for 5.5” iPhone 6 leaked
- Video Review: Otterbox Agility Tablet System
- NFL Now channel comes to Apple TV
- New iPhone 6 schematic leak shows protruding camera lens
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- Go Design TravelCard Charger
- OtterBox Agility Tablet System for iPad Air
- SwitchEasy B’Spoke for iPad Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today