Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Similar to the EyeTV 200 we previously checked out, Elgato's new EyeTV 250 is considerably cheaper ($200), physically smaller - the same footprint as a full-sized iPod, but twice as thick as the thickest iPod models - and still capable of running with the EyeTV 2 software we reviewed before. The EyeTV 250 uses USB 2.0 rather than FireWire for its connection to a Macintosh computer, and cosmetically matches the white plastic and aluminum bodies of Mac minis. A large black remote control is also included in the package.
Models: Skins for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
With over 200 different patterns, these inexpensive iPod nano front and back-covering stickers represent a staggering collection of artistic variations. They're nothing mindblowing on quality or protection, but the sheer array of options guarantees that you'll find something to your liking.
Compatible: iPod 5G, iPod nano
These simple and inexpensive fabric sleeves, sold in different sizes for full-sized iPods and nanos, come in a wide variety of colors and textures. Though a tiger-like animal print wasn't as hairy as we expected, others (black fur) were, while still others had surprising raised text and interesting patterns. They're certainly more novel than a lot of the sleeves we've seen in the past.
Model: New York Landmark Folio
Compatible: iPod nano, iPod 5G
Exclusive to the new Fifth Avenue Apple Store in New York City, Incase's customized New York Landmark Folio cases for iPod 5G and nano use the company's familiar Folio protective design - a flip-open, snap-closed holder with an integrated belt clip - and subtle, embossed artwork of arches, the Empire State Building, the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Statue of Liberty. Black and white versions were available at the store's opening; Incase expects that the limited run of these cases has already sold out since that event, making them collectible.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Store returns, begins taking iPad pre-orders
- Apple updates Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iCloud Drive
- Belkin announces QODE keyboards for iPad Air 2
- Apple introduces Apple SIM, multi-carrier cellular SIM card
- New iPad Smart Cases, Covers shown for iPad Air 2
- Apple unveils iPad mini 3, renames Retina iPad mini to iPad mini 2
- Apple debuts iPad Air 2
- iPad stats: 225 million sold, 675,000 apps
- Apple formally debuts iTunes 12 after three months of betas
- ClamCase ClamCase Pro for iPad mini
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller
- Hex Icon Wallet and Solo Wallet for iPhone 6
- SwitchEasy 0.35, LifePocket + Numbers for iPhone 6
- GE Link Connected LED Bulb + Wink Hub
- Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case for iPad Air
- Uniq Aircraft Clear for iPhone 6
- STM Harbour for iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo Quad360 and QuadMax for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig MIDI 2
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers