Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Company: AVA Showcase
Model: Element and Smooth E
Compatible: iPod nano
These two plastic case designs are identical in shape, but different in coating. The Smooth E case comes in glazed solid plastic tones, while Elements comes in your choice of chrome or gold metallic. Of the two, Elements has the larger bundle, with a fabric carrying case, black lanyard, magnetic cord manager ("cable grip"), and Click Wheel sticker protector, while Smooth E includes only a Click Wheel sticker protector. Both cases have integrated clear screen protectors and velvet interiors, snapping apart into two pieces. They also have unique mechanical sliding Hold switch covers.
This nothing special leather flip case for fifth-generation iPods is specifically sized to fit either a 60GB iPod or a 30GB iPod, depending on the version you purchase, and both black and white versions are available. A card pocket slot on the inside front flap is the only part that really looks different from similar cases we've seen. We're not especially impressed by the case's cut-out holes for the top, bottom, or sides, and though the case is nappa leather, it doesn't otherwise have the indicia of a high-quality design. It's one we'd pass on.
As one of the more impressively designed denim cases we've seen for an iPod, AVA has taken the blue jeans theme to a new level, with a rear jean jacket-style pocket and matching attachment hook. You can pop off the pocket, or keep it attached; in either case it holds a pair of iPod earbuds or some spare change. There's an integrated clear screen protector, and denim Click Wheel coverage.
Company: Kroo/Leader Wireless
Model: Kroo Cases for iPod nano
Compatible: iPod nano
These four new cases for the iPod nano are either entirely or partially made from inexpensive leather, and frequently accented with metal. Each is available in multiple colors. Of the cases, the metal and leather combination case Cayman is the most interesting; the others look like many generic iPod cases we've seen before.
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Pac-Man Friends
- Apple removes Secret app from Brazilian App Store
- Alleged Foxconn leak reveals iPhone 6 dimensions
- Reuters: Backlight redesign disrupted iPhone 6 production
- Apps of the Week: Star Walk 2, Swing Copters, Vine 2.5 + more
- Apple releases new iTunes 12 beta
- Alleged rear shell for 5.5” iPhone 6 leaked
- Video Review: Otterbox Agility Tablet System
- NFL Now channel comes to Apple TV
- New iPhone 6 schematic leak shows protruding camera lens
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- Go Design TravelCard Charger
- OtterBox Agility Tablet System for iPad Air
- SwitchEasy B’Spoke for iPad Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today