Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Compatible: iPod 5G, iPod nano
These simple and inexpensive fabric sleeves, sold in different sizes for full-sized iPods and nanos, come in a wide variety of colors and textures. Though a tiger-like animal print wasn't as hairy as we expected, others (black fur) were, while still others had surprising raised text and interesting patterns. They're certainly more novel than a lot of the sleeves we've seen in the past.
Model: New York Landmark Folio
Compatible: iPod nano, iPod 5G
Exclusive to the new Fifth Avenue Apple Store in New York City, Incase's customized New York Landmark Folio cases for iPod 5G and nano use the company's familiar Folio protective design - a flip-open, snap-closed holder with an integrated belt clip - and subtle, embossed artwork of arches, the Empire State Building, the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Statue of Liberty. Black and white versions were available at the store's opening; Incase expects that the limited run of these cases has already sold out since that event, making them collectible.
Model: Splash Pack Dri Pod
Compatible: iPod 1G-5G (Large), iPod mini, nano, shuffle (Small)
This inexpensive new bag-like waterproof iPod case is sold in two sizes (large/small), each permitting access to an iPod's screen and Click Wheel through a flexible plastic material. The front of Dri Pod is clear, the rear is frosted, and both an adjustable lanyard necklace and headphone port extension plug are integrated into the case. Water is kept out through a system of three "Sure-lock seals" (think Ziploc bags with a Velcro wrap at the top), and Allsop rates Dri Pod as submersible to 9 feet (3 meters), assuming you provide your own waterproof headphones. Sand and dust are also kept away from the iPod while inside, however, the company warns against heat and sunlight damage.
Model: GX4 Pro Digital Music System
Compatible: iPod 3G, 4G, 5G, mini, nano, 1G/2G*, shuffle*
This smaller SoundDock-alike speaker system from Logiix features an iPod dock and remote control, and uses the familiar stark metal front speaker grille/curved casing and dock styling pioneered by Bose. iPod nano, 5G, and general dock adapters are included in the package, as well as audio input and USB dock synchronization cables.
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?