Welcome to our new, continuously-updated First Looks - a collection of previews showing brand new iPod, iPhone and iPad accessories that we’re currently in the process of testing. Here’s what’s hot right now:
Compatible: iPod 5G, iPod nano
These simple and inexpensive fabric sleeves, sold in different sizes for full-sized iPods and nanos, come in a wide variety of colors and textures. Though a tiger-like animal print wasn't as hairy as we expected, others (black fur) were, while still others had surprising raised text and interesting patterns. They're certainly more novel than a lot of the sleeves we've seen in the past.
Model: New York Landmark Folio
Compatible: iPod nano, iPod 5G
Exclusive to the new Fifth Avenue Apple Store in New York City, Incase's customized New York Landmark Folio cases for iPod 5G and nano use the company's familiar Folio protective design - a flip-open, snap-closed holder with an integrated belt clip - and subtle, embossed artwork of arches, the Empire State Building, the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Statue of Liberty. Black and white versions were available at the store's opening; Incase expects that the limited run of these cases has already sold out since that event, making them collectible.
Model: Splash Pack Dri Pod
Compatible: iPod 1G-5G (Large), iPod mini, nano, shuffle (Small)
This inexpensive new bag-like waterproof iPod case is sold in two sizes (large/small), each permitting access to an iPod's screen and Click Wheel through a flexible plastic material. The front of Dri Pod is clear, the rear is frosted, and both an adjustable lanyard necklace and headphone port extension plug are integrated into the case. Water is kept out through a system of three "Sure-lock seals" (think Ziploc bags with a Velcro wrap at the top), and Allsop rates Dri Pod as submersible to 9 feet (3 meters), assuming you provide your own waterproof headphones. Sand and dust are also kept away from the iPod while inside, however, the company warns against heat and sunlight damage.
Model: GX4 Pro Digital Music System
Compatible: iPod 3G, 4G, 5G, mini, nano, 1G/2G*, shuffle*
This smaller SoundDock-alike speaker system from Logiix features an iPod dock and remote control, and uses the familiar stark metal front speaker grille/curved casing and dock styling pioneered by Bose. iPod nano, 5G, and general dock adapters are included in the package, as well as audio input and USB dock synchronization cables.
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- Beijing police bust massive iPhone counterfeiting operation
- Report: Apple interested in BMW i3 as ‘starting point’ for its own car
- Nike to offer customers cash in proposed FuelBand settlement
- Apple Watch coming to Best Buy on August 7
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Apple pulls Nest from its stores
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?