iPad: Multitasking, Sync, eBook Reader, and more.
This image has been viewed 12875 times
There are several primary software features that the iPad I visualized has:
• Multitasking. Pressing and holding the Home button on the bottom of the device will reveal a Cover Flow selection for currently opened applications. One can simply scroll by flicking a finger and select the application he or she wants to maximize.
• OS that is modified to fit the larger screen. I concur with the rumors that the device will run a variation of the iPhone OS. However, it’s obviously not going to run unmodified. There will be modifications made to the OS to make use of the larger screen real estate: for example, Safari will have vertical Cover Flow to browse bookmarks and history. Tabs will also be handled with Cover Flow.
• Syncing with one’s Mac or PC. Purchases can be made either in iTunes or on the device, and can be synced either way. Wireless syncing is also possible if the device and the computer are on the same network.
• eBook/ Newspaper Reader. Apple will have rights with content providers such as the New York Times, LA Times, etc. to format their daily paper into an iPad friendly format. Apple will also host their own eBook library in iTunes (it would not make sense for Amazon to allow their eBooks to be read on the iPad, as they already have their own competing device, the Kindle).
I also want the iPad to have these hardware features:
• An Atom processor, or perhaps nVidia’s ION platform. It will make multitasking and Flash realistic and possible. In my design, I use Cover Flow extensively. It is graphics/processor intensive and thus needs a beefy CPU and GPU to handle it.
• Large battery. It will have the same technology as the new MacBook Pros have. Despite having to power a 10.7” screen, 30 hours of eBook reading, 20 hours of surfing in Safari, 50 hours of music, and 15 hours of video seem reasonable.
• 10.7” LED display. It will help make the device more power efficient and fulfill Apple’s shift to being environmentally friendly.
• Comes in capacities of 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB. Priced at $599, $699, and $799 respectively.
Let me know what you guys think!