Developed by the company of the same name, AirServer ($15) has evolved a lot since its early days. At first it simply turned your Mac into an AirPlay receiver, capable of streaming audio and video from compatible devices. When iOS 5 added AirPlay mirroring, so did AirServer. Now with its update to version 4.3, the app has been refined even further, and the developer is calling it “the game console for the Mac” due to gamer-friendly features.
This latest release brings a load of new features, most of which are meant to optimize the gaming experience. Hands down, the coolest of them is split-screen mode. Up to 16 iOS devices can share the same screen, allowing single player games to instantly become multiplayer. Just think: you can see which of your friends can run further in a game of Jetpack Joyride on the big screen. On top of that, the quality of the graphics has been improved, the aspect ratio can be adjusted, and although it may not impact many readers of this Mac section of our site, there’s a PC version available now, too.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?