Amped Wireless ACA1 High Power 500mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi USB Adapter
Now that Apple has added 802.11ac to its latest MacBook Airs and AirPort Extremes, it’s only a matter of time before the next-generation Wi-Fi standard makes it to the rest of the Mac lineup. Owners of current-generation machines have an option, too: Amped Wireless has just introduced the ACA1 High Power 500mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi USB Adapter ($90). Large thanks to a couple of brawny antennas, ACA1 adds 802.11ac compatibility to machines without it, and boosts transmission distance by up to three times.
ACA1 connects to your Mac over USB 3.0, and can either clip onto the screen, or rest on a flat surface next to it. After you’ve installed a driver, it’s ready to go, allowing you to move further away from an 802.11ac router without losing signal—though with the standard 802.11ac caveat that transmission speeds drop as you move further away from your router. It’s backwards-compatible with earlier 802.11 standards, as well.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?