Amped Wireless ACA1 High Power 500mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi USB Adapter
Now that Apple has added 802.11ac to its latest MacBook Airs and AirPort Extremes, it’s only a matter of time before the next-generation Wi-Fi standard makes it to the rest of the Mac lineup. Owners of current-generation machines have an option, too: Amped Wireless has just introduced the ACA1 High Power 500mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi USB Adapter ($90). Large thanks to a couple of brawny antennas, ACA1 adds 802.11ac compatibility to machines without it, and boosts transmission distance by up to three times.
ACA1 connects to your Mac over USB 3.0, and can either clip onto the screen, or rest on a flat surface next to it. After you’ve installed a driver, it’s ready to go, allowing you to move further away from an 802.11ac router without losing signal—though with the standard 802.11ac caveat that transmission speeds drop as you move further away from your router. It’s backwards-compatible with earlier 802.11 standards, as well.
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?