Amped Wireless ACA1 High Power 500mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi USB Adapter
Now that Apple has added 802.11ac to its latest MacBook Airs and AirPort Extremes, it’s only a matter of time before the next-generation Wi-Fi standard makes it to the rest of the Mac lineup. Owners of current-generation machines have an option, too: Amped Wireless has just introduced the ACA1 High Power 500mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi USB Adapter ($90). Large thanks to a couple of brawny antennas, ACA1 adds 802.11ac compatibility to machines without it, and boosts transmission distance by up to three times.
ACA1 connects to your Mac over USB 3.0, and can either clip onto the screen, or rest on a flat surface next to it. After you’ve installed a driver, it’s ready to go, allowing you to move further away from an 802.11ac router without losing signal—though with the standard 802.11ac caveat that transmission speeds drop as you move further away from your router. It’s backwards-compatible with earlier 802.11 standards, as well.
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Olloclip releases new Active Lens for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
- Refurbished iPad Air 2 models hit Apple Store
- Apple releases first Apple Watch Software Update
- Apple extends agreement with TomTom for Maps
- Apple releases iPhone Lightning Dock with iPhone 6/iPhone 6 Plus compatibility
- Apple, others urge Obama not to limit encryption
- WSJ: Apple dropped TV set plans ‘more than a year ago’
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?