Amped Wireless ACA1 High Power 500mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi USB Adapter
Now that Apple has added 802.11ac to its latest MacBook Airs and AirPort Extremes, it’s only a matter of time before the next-generation Wi-Fi standard makes it to the rest of the Mac lineup. Owners of current-generation machines have an option, too: Amped Wireless has just introduced the ACA1 High Power 500mW Dual Band AC Wi-Fi USB Adapter ($90). Large thanks to a couple of brawny antennas, ACA1 adds 802.11ac compatibility to machines without it, and boosts transmission distance by up to three times.
ACA1 connects to your Mac over USB 3.0, and can either clip onto the screen, or rest on a flat surface next to it. After you’ve installed a driver, it’s ready to go, allowing you to move further away from an 802.11ac router without losing signal—though with the standard 802.11ac caveat that transmission speeds drop as you move further away from your router. It’s backwards-compatible with earlier 802.11 standards, as well.
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?