APC Back-UPS Connect
If you’re familiar with UPS systems—uninterruptible power supplies—you likely know they’re usually designed for devices with huge power consumption requirements, such as desktop computers or even servers. APC had a pretty brilliant alternative idea: why not offer an inexpensive option to keep laptops and tablets online when the power goes out by guaranteeing enough energy for your router and modem, which require a lot less juice? That’s what Back-UPS Connect ($50) is for. The compact, reasonably-priced system strikes us useful both at home and in the office.
APC’s three-outlet system promises to provide about three and a half hours of power to low-drain systems such as modems, routers, and VoIP phones. This should be enough to keep you going while working off of battery power on your MacBook, iPad, or iPhone. If you want, you could even charge those devices from the UPS, although that will definitely drain it faster.
- Apple takes 15 percent of subscription fees for Apple TV signups
- Apple takes 15 percent of subscription fee for Apple TV signups
- Security change in iOS 8.3 limits some file manager and transfer apps
- Apple Watch Sport, 42mm case and black Sport band top pre-sale estimates
- Report: Apple Watch Sport comes with three band pieces, not two separate bands
- iLounge Weekly coming out Monday, subscribe now
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Report: Apple has spent $38 million on Apple Watch TV ads
- Apple Watch bands also experiencing delayed shipping times
- Apple Watch models sell out quickly, shipping estimates now 4-6 weeks or later
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?