APC Back-UPS Connect
If you’re familiar with UPS systems—uninterruptible power supplies—you likely know they’re usually designed for devices with huge power consumption requirements, such as desktop computers or even servers. APC had a pretty brilliant alternative idea: why not offer an inexpensive option to keep laptops and tablets online when the power goes out by guaranteeing enough energy for your router and modem, which require a lot less juice? That’s what Back-UPS Connect ($50) is for. The compact, reasonably-priced system strikes us useful both at home and in the office.
APC’s three-outlet system promises to provide about three and a half hours of power to low-drain systems such as modems, routers, and VoIP phones. This should be enough to keep you going while working off of battery power on your MacBook, iPad, or iPhone. If you want, you could even charge those devices from the UPS, although that will definitely drain it faster.
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014