APC Back-UPS Connect
If you’re familiar with UPS systems—uninterruptible power supplies—you likely know they’re usually designed for devices with huge power consumption requirements, such as desktop computers or even servers. APC had a pretty brilliant alternative idea: why not offer an inexpensive option to keep laptops and tablets online when the power goes out by guaranteeing enough energy for your router and modem, which require a lot less juice? That’s what Back-UPS Connect ($50) is for. The compact, reasonably-priced system strikes us useful both at home and in the office.
APC’s three-outlet system promises to provide about three and a half hours of power to low-drain systems such as modems, routers, and VoIP phones. This should be enough to keep you going while working off of battery power on your MacBook, iPad, or iPhone. If you want, you could even charge those devices from the UPS, although that will definitely drain it faster.
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?