Apple 21.5" iMac (Mid 2014)
We were hoping the rumors of a new, less expensive iMac were true, and we knew there would have to be some cuts made somewhere to lower the price. But there’s no way we expected such a huge gap between the new Mid 2014 version of Apple’s 21.5” iMac ($1,999) and the previous entry level model. While the enclosure, screen, ports, and memory are the same, this new Mac has some weak components inside, at least compared to the step-up model.
The most obvious figure that jumps out is the processor speed. This iMac packs a 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, compared to the 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 you get by spending $200 more. The hard drive space has been cut too, halved to 500GB. It’s only $50 to jump back up to 1TB, and there are options for a Fusion Drive or flash storage if you build to order. Finally, the graphics processor is the same Intel HD Graphics 5000 found in the MacBook Air. We haven’t tried this one out yet, so we can’t speak to actual performance, and the guts may actually be just fine for entry-level use. The components are essentially the same as current-generation MacBook Airs, and those are very capable machines.
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- New Apple TV expected to debut at WWDC with App Store
- Apple pulls The Whole Pantry app amid developer scandal
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iBattz Refuel Invictus for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?