Apple 21.5" iMac (Mid 2014)
We were hoping the rumors of a new, less expensive iMac were true, and we knew there would have to be some cuts made somewhere to lower the price. But there’s no way we expected such a huge gap between the new Mid 2014 version of Apple’s 21.5” iMac ($1,999) and the previous entry level model. While the enclosure, screen, ports, and memory are the same, this new Mac has some weak components inside, at least compared to the step-up model.
The most obvious figure that jumps out is the processor speed. This iMac packs a 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, compared to the 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 you get by spending $200 more. The hard drive space has been cut too, halved to 500GB. It’s only $50 to jump back up to 1TB, and there are options for a Fusion Drive or flash storage if you build to order. Finally, the graphics processor is the same Intel HD Graphics 5000 found in the MacBook Air. We haven’t tried this one out yet, so we can’t speak to actual performance, and the guts may actually be just fine for entry-level use. The components are essentially the same as current-generation MacBook Airs, and those are very capable machines.
- Initial benchmarks show new iPod touch running slightly slower than iPhone 6
- Apple unveils new iPod touch, new nano and shuffle colors
- Logitech debuts Logi BLOK cases for iPad Air 2
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Apple sued over iWatch trademark it doesn’t own
- Apple progressing in TV service negotiations, aiming for fall debut
- Final major bank signs on as Apple Pay goes live in UK
- Apple releases iTunes 12.2.1 with iTunes Match, Apple Music fixes
- Big pharma firms looking to integrate ResearchKit
- M.I.A. project joins the ranks of Apple Music-exclusives
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?