Apple MacBook Air (Mid 2011)
The rumors have been a few weeks off, but our predictions were right. About ten months after Apple took a second, far more successful swing at the MacBook Air ($999-$1,599), it has followed it up with an impressively improved new lineup—changes that aren’t groundbreaking, but all very much welcome, and considerably improving the horsepower of Apple’s new base model MacBook. That’s right—the MacBook’s gone, so long live MacBook Air.
Not surprisingly, both the 11” and 13” MacBook Air models stuck around. The base version of the smaller model still only has 2GB of RAM and 64GB of Flash memory, but it’s been updated with a new 1.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor—a major upgrade that should really boost performance. There’s also a beefed-up version with the same processor but double the memory and storage space, and a “best” model with a 1.8GHz Core i7 and 256GB of storage. The 13-incher is sporting similar specs, with a 1.7GHz processor, 4GB of RAM, and between 128 and 256GB of storage, upgradable to 1.8GHz. Not too shabby. To keep up with the rest of the family, Apple has replaced the Mini DisplayPort with Thunderbolt, the whole line has Intel HD Graphics 3000 cards, and the keyboard is backlit. The FaceTime camera isn’t HD like on all of the other machines, but the MacBook Air does have something no other Mac has—Bluetooth 4.0. All in all, it’s a great machine, and a worthy final nail in the coffin of the now-defunct MacBook.
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Apple Music roundup: iOS 8.4 to get early Tuesday release, Sonos support on the way
- Apple suppliers now making iPhones with Force Touch
- Parrot announces North American details for new Minidrone lineup
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?