Apple MacBook Air (Mid 2011)
The rumors have been a few weeks off, but our predictions were right. About ten months after Apple took a second, far more successful swing at the MacBook Air ($999-$1,599), it has followed it up with an impressively improved new lineup—changes that aren’t groundbreaking, but all very much welcome, and considerably improving the horsepower of Apple’s new base model MacBook. That’s right—the MacBook’s gone, so long live MacBook Air.
Not surprisingly, both the 11” and 13” MacBook Air models stuck around. The base version of the smaller model still only has 2GB of RAM and 64GB of Flash memory, but it’s been updated with a new 1.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor—a major upgrade that should really boost performance. There’s also a beefed-up version with the same processor but double the memory and storage space, and a “best” model with a 1.8GHz Core i7 and 256GB of storage. The 13-incher is sporting similar specs, with a 1.7GHz processor, 4GB of RAM, and between 128 and 256GB of storage, upgradable to 1.8GHz. Not too shabby. To keep up with the rest of the family, Apple has replaced the Mini DisplayPort with Thunderbolt, the whole line has Intel HD Graphics 3000 cards, and the keyboard is backlit. The FaceTime camera isn’t HD like on all of the other machines, but the MacBook Air does have something no other Mac has—Bluetooth 4.0. All in all, it’s a great machine, and a worthy final nail in the coffin of the now-defunct MacBook.
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Apple sued over iWatch trademark it doesn’t own
- Apple progressing in TV service negotiations, aiming for fall debut
- Final major bank signs on as Apple Pay goes live in UK
- Apple releases iTunes 12.2.1 with iTunes Match, Apple Music fixes
- Big pharma firms looking to integrate ResearchKit
- M.I.A. project joins the ranks of Apple Music-exclusives
- Apple’s cut of streaming music rivals’ profits sparks antitrust inquiry
- New iPods coming July 14?
- Apple releases iOS 9 public beta
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?