Apple MacBook Air (Mid 2011)
The rumors have been a few weeks off, but our predictions were right. About ten months after Apple took a second, far more successful swing at the MacBook Air ($999-$1,599), it has followed it up with an impressively improved new lineup—changes that aren’t groundbreaking, but all very much welcome, and considerably improving the horsepower of Apple’s new base model MacBook. That’s right—the MacBook’s gone, so long live MacBook Air.
Not surprisingly, both the 11” and 13” MacBook Air models stuck around. The base version of the smaller model still only has 2GB of RAM and 64GB of Flash memory, but it’s been updated with a new 1.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor—a major upgrade that should really boost performance. There’s also a beefed-up version with the same processor but double the memory and storage space, and a “best” model with a 1.8GHz Core i7 and 256GB of storage. The 13-incher is sporting similar specs, with a 1.7GHz processor, 4GB of RAM, and between 128 and 256GB of storage, upgradable to 1.8GHz. Not too shabby. To keep up with the rest of the family, Apple has replaced the Mini DisplayPort with Thunderbolt, the whole line has Intel HD Graphics 3000 cards, and the keyboard is backlit. The FaceTime camera isn’t HD like on all of the other machines, but the MacBook Air does have something no other Mac has—Bluetooth 4.0. All in all, it’s a great machine, and a worthy final nail in the coffin of the now-defunct MacBook.
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Apple expands personal pickup to Apple Stores in the UK
- Apple acknowledges iPad Pro charging problem, doesn’t have fix yet
- App Store rules may limit number of iPad Pro-specific apps
- iFixit tears down the Apple Pencil
- Apple releases iOS 9.2 beta 4, tvOS 9.1 beta 3
- Apple expands NYC same-day delivery, brings personal pickup to Canada + Australia
- Apple apparently pulls HomeKit-incompatible devices from its stores
- Leaked photo shows official Apple Watch dock packaging (Updated: dock released)
- Foursquare added to Apple Maps business listings
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Logitech Create iPad Pro Keyboard Case
- Apple iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Lav
- Netatmo Rain Gauge
- Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Wireless Speaker
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?