Apple MacBook Air (Mid 2012)
It’s WWDC, and this year, that means new Mac hardware. The first updates announced by Apple today were for the MacBook Air ($999-$1499). The story is what you’d expect from Cupertino: faster Ivy Bridge processors, more memory, and increased SSD storage. USB 3.0 is now finally built-in, and the FaceTime camera has been updated to 720p, earning it the “FaceTime HD” designation.
The MacBook Air is still available in 11” and 13” variations, with a few models at each size. Starting at the base, you have the smaller-screened model with a 1.7GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM—double the previous standard amount—and still a 64GB SSD. $100 more gets you the same specs but twice the storage space. The 13” Air now starts with a 1.8GHz processor, upgradable to 2.0GHz like the 11”. Those with big file libraries should be happy to see the option of a 512GB SSD, a first for the line, and up to 8GB of RAM is now supported, though at steep price premiums. Across the line, graphics are up to 60% faster. A solid upgrade, for sure.
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Apple sued over iWatch trademark it doesn’t own
- Apple progressing in TV service negotiations, aiming for fall debut
- Final major bank signs on as Apple Pay goes live in UK
- Apple releases iTunes 12.2.1 with iTunes Match, Apple Music fixes
- Big pharma firms looking to integrate ResearchKit
- M.I.A. project joins the ranks of Apple Music-exclusives
- Apple’s cut of streaming music rivals’ profits sparks antitrust inquiry
- New iPods coming July 14?
- Apple releases iOS 9 public beta
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?