Apple MacBook Air (Mid 2012)
It’s WWDC, and this year, that means new Mac hardware. The first updates announced by Apple today were for the MacBook Air ($999-$1499). The story is what you’d expect from Cupertino: faster Ivy Bridge processors, more memory, and increased SSD storage. USB 3.0 is now finally built-in, and the FaceTime camera has been updated to 720p, earning it the “FaceTime HD” designation.
The MacBook Air is still available in 11” and 13” variations, with a few models at each size. Starting at the base, you have the smaller-screened model with a 1.7GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM—double the previous standard amount—and still a 64GB SSD. $100 more gets you the same specs but twice the storage space. The 13” Air now starts with a 1.8GHz processor, upgradable to 2.0GHz like the 11”. Those with big file libraries should be happy to see the option of a 512GB SSD, a first for the line, and up to 8GB of RAM is now supported, though at steep price premiums. Across the line, graphics are up to 60% faster. A solid upgrade, for sure.
- Amazon to ban sale of Apple TV
- Former Boeing CFO James Bell elected to Apple’s Board of Directors
- Apple releases iOS 9.1 beta 3 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 9.0.2
- Cook urges businesses, governments to address social problems
- A note on our iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus case reviews
- Apple pulls app that documented US drone strikes
- Apple Music, iTunes movies and iBooks made available in China
- Google Maps gets Apple Watch support
- Apple Pay coming to Canada by late October?
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- TrackR bravo
- Apple iPad mini 4 Silicone Case + Smart Cover
- Apple iPad mini 4
- Fluance Fi50 Bluetooth speaker
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom 2
- Jaybird X2 Bluetooth Headphones
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?