Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive
So you just stopped by the Apple Store to pick up your new MacBook Air or Mac mini, and you’re wondering how you’re supposed to rip your CD collection. If optical media are still part of your life, then you might want to consider dropping $79 for Apple’s MacBook Air SuperDrive. Don’t let the name fool you; it works with both of the company’s drive-less Macs.
The SuperDrive is dead simple: a tiny aluminum slot-loading box just bigger than a jewel case. One USB cable runs out the back and into your machine, transferring data and providing power. The drive reads and burns both CDs and DVDs, including dual-layer DVDs. It really couldn’t get any easier. Bear in mind that there have been some historically less than positive reviews for the MacBook Air SuperDrive, suggesting that Apple picked a poor supplier for the drive mechanism in the past, but those comments have more recently subsided. If you’re concerned about its ongoing reliability, you have two choices: buy AppleCare for your computer so you can get the accessory replaced if it fails, or use Remote Disk from either the Mac mini or MacBook Air to wirelessly share the drive in another Mac you already own.
- Apple reverses course on iOS calculator widgets
- Tim Cook: ‘I’m proud to be gay’
- AT&T and Verizon tracking customer web activity
- iOS updates causing Mophie Juice Pack Air compatibility problems?
- FTC launches complaint against AT&T over unlimited data throttling policies
- Apple VP Joswiak testy at Code/Mobile event
- Cook discusses Apple Pay, Watch, iPod classic at WSJD Live
- Apple TV adds Hallmark’s Feeln and A&E’s FYI channels
- Fitbit announces Charge, Charge HR + Surge health and fitness trackers
- Apple looking to expand NFC use beyond Apple Pay
- Rokform Crystal v3 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Bodycon, LifePro, and Helio for iPhone 6 + Bodycon for iPhone 6 Plus
- Trident Case Aegis, Cyclops, Kraken A.M.S. + Perseus for iPhone 6
- Incipio Stowaway Advance for iPhone 6 Plus
- Apple iPad Air 2 Smart Case
- Apple iPad mini 3
- Alpine Headphones
- Apple iPad Air 2
- Speck MightyShell for iPhone 6
- Misfit Flash Fitness + Sleep Monitor
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0