Apple Time Capsule (Mid 2011)
Oh so stealthily this morning, Apple bumped the storage capacity on its router and hard drive combo Time Capsule ($299-$499). Now you have the option of 2 or 3TB for the same prices as before; either model should be enough to wireless back up two or three of your home computers. Previously rumored features, such as an A4 or A5 processor inside for dramatically improved functionality, either didn’t make the cut this time or haven’t been promoted in any way by Apple.
On top of the Wi-Fi networking, shared hard drive, and USB printing support, the newest model also suggests subtle improvements to the prior generation models’ wireless backup capabilities. It still works with the Time Machine software on all of the Macs on your network, making automatic backups throughout the day. Apple’s web site claimed 60% faster backups with the prior-generation model; unspecified new technologies—possibly just improvements on the software side—now claim to make the whole process up to 75% faster. Our advice with the Time Capsule remains the same as before: it’s a fine passive backup solution, but still on the slow side, and could be doing so much more.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards