Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB + ATR-2500-USB Microphones
So you’re loving Apple’s GarageBand and you kinda-sorta taught yourself to play music. Now it’s time to take a stab at singing along with your strings, keys, and beats. You’re going to need something better than your Mac’s standard mic for the vocals… something like Audio-Technica’s ATR2100-USB Handheld USB/XLR Microphone ($80). And hey, it looks good enough that you wouldn’t get laughed off the stage if you pulled it out at a show. Updated! We’ve added new pictures and details for the both ATR2100-USB and its companion model ATR2500-USB ($100)!
ATR2100-USB is kind of a jack of all trades when it comes to podcasting, home recording, and the like. Of course the microphone can plug right into the USB port on your computer and interact with any of your audio software, but it also supports analog output via the XLR connection—great for live performances. The analog-to-digital converter offers a 16-Bit, 44.1/48 kHz sampling rate, and a built-in headphone port allows for real-time monitoring of the output, with a two-position level/volume control switch right on the bottom of the mic. Audio-Technica includes a tripod desk stand, threaded stand clamp, plus USB and XLR cables in the package.
By comparison, the heavier ATR2500-USB has a more modern-looking design, made for side-addressed recording, and includes slightly different inputs and controls. On its tube-shaped body are digital volume controls that tie directly into OS X, along with a recessed headphone port, both in different (and better) positions than on the ATR2100-USB’s bottom. Missing are the XLR input and cable, and the mini-USB connector from the ATR2100-USB has been replaced with a D-style USB port, matched to the cable inside this box. Inside the ATR2500 is a condenser mic, rather than the dynamic mic in the ATR2100, promising ever-so-slightly improved low-frequency sensitivity (down to 30Hz versus 50Hz, both with 15,000Hz highs).
- Apple takes 15 percent of subscription fees for Apple TV signups
- Apple takes 15 percent of subscription fee for Apple TV signups
- Security change in iOS 8.3 limits some file manager and transfer apps
- Apple Watch Sport, 42mm case and black Sport band top pre-sale estimates
- Report: Apple Watch Sport comes with three band pieces, not two separate bands
- iLounge Weekly coming out Monday, subscribe now
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Report: Apple has spent $38 million on Apple Watch TV ads
- Apple Watch bands also experiencing delayed shipping times
- Apple Watch models sell out quickly, shipping estimates now 4-6 weeks or later
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?