Canon VIXIA HF M400
The great thing about video cameras these days? You can now get spectacular results without breaking the bank. Prime example: the new Canon VIXIA HF M400 ($650). Armed with a solid 10X optical zoom lens, this tiny handheld shoots full 1080p with its HD CMOS Pro Sensor—deliberately limited to 1920x1080 pixels to maximize low-light performance and image quality at this resolution, rather than adding extra pixels and noise. Because it’s the latest in a long line of great Canon camcorders, the color rendition’s great, and it also has all sorts of other cool stuff packed under the hood.
To save you cash, VIXIA HF M400 doesn’t have built-in memory. Instead, it includes two SD/SDXC slots, giving you as much room as you decide you need, so you can get a $10 8GB card or go crazy with a couple of these guys. Fill one up and the camera automatically switches over to the other so that you don’t lose a second of footage. Everything is controlled from a three inch touch screen, which allows you to do cool things such as Touch Focus, Touch Exposure, and Touch & Track; tap whatever you want to focus on and the camcorder will keep it sharp wherever it moves across the screen. Combine that with powerful image stabilization, face detection, and some really cool filters, as well as high-quality 24Mbps AVCHD recording that’s easy to import into iMovie on your Mac. What more could you want?
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?