Cirago USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter
Cirago’s new USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter ($60) seems almost too good to be true: it’s designed to connect your Mac to an HDMI display, outputting through the USB port instead of having to rely on Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt. And it doesn’t just carry video—audio comes along for the ride too. Updated! New photos and details have been added below the fold.
If one extra monitor isn’t enough for your needs, you can hook up four of the adapters to connect to four different displays. Cirago has confirmed that this works, though obviously graphics card limitations may well apply. You also have to supply your own HDMI cable, but the company includes an HDMI to DVI adapter in the box if you’re hooking up to an older display. Update August 30, 2011: We’ve tested the USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter now with two different Macs, and there’s mixed news to share: when connected to a 720p television, each Mac’s top, left, and right sides of the screen were ever so slightly chopped off when performed through the Adapter. The cropping wouldn’t significantly impact a Mac’s ability to play back videos on an HDMI display, but it did cut the top-of-screen menu bar in two, as well as the left or right side dock if you have it there. But on a newer 1080p set, the Adapter operated either in 1920x1080 full-screen mode, or in a mirroring mode that presents the Mac’s screen in the center with black bars off to the sides. Notably, the USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter requires installation of software drivers in order to work, but the process is relatively painless so long as you download the software from the DisplayLink website.
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- Microsoft, Yahoo hope to replace Google for Safari default search?
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Handbrake updated to 0.10, adds new encoders + more
- Report: ‘Deep Organizational Issues’ at Apple affecting iCloud progress
- Apple announces Product(RED) Gift Cards for Black Friday
- Apple unveils Product(RED) apps for World AIDS Day 2014
- Apps of the Week: Sago Mini Road Trip, Football Manager Handheld 2015, Deliveries 6.0 + more
- Square plans to accept Apple Pay in 2015
- Verus Case Damda Slide for iPhone 6 Plus
- Heckler Design @Rest Stand for iPad (2014)
- Kerf Case Wood Cases for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio for iPhone 6 Plus
- ZeroChroma FluxStand-Compatible Car Vent Mount + Reflective Armband
- Griffin Slim Folio and Survivor All-Terrain for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Slide-Mount Combo Pack for iPad Folio-Slide Cases
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0