Cirago USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter
Cirago’s new USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter ($60) seems almost too good to be true: it’s designed to connect your Mac to an HDMI display, outputting through the USB port instead of having to rely on Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt. And it doesn’t just carry video—audio comes along for the ride too. Updated! New photos and details have been added below the fold.
If one extra monitor isn’t enough for your needs, you can hook up four of the adapters to connect to four different displays. Cirago has confirmed that this works, though obviously graphics card limitations may well apply. You also have to supply your own HDMI cable, but the company includes an HDMI to DVI adapter in the box if you’re hooking up to an older display. Update August 30, 2011: We’ve tested the USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter now with two different Macs, and there’s mixed news to share: when connected to a 720p television, each Mac’s top, left, and right sides of the screen were ever so slightly chopped off when performed through the Adapter. The cropping wouldn’t significantly impact a Mac’s ability to play back videos on an HDMI display, but it did cut the top-of-screen menu bar in two, as well as the left or right side dock if you have it there. But on a newer 1080p set, the Adapter operated either in 1920x1080 full-screen mode, or in a mirroring mode that presents the Mac’s screen in the center with black bars off to the sides. Notably, the USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter requires installation of software drivers in order to work, but the process is relatively painless so long as you download the software from the DisplayLink website.
- Apple to drop first-gen Apple TV, iPod classic support as of Sept 8th
- New Apple TV to feature motion sensitive remote
- Media companies balk at $40/mo. plan for Apple TV service
- Former Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers leaves Apple
- Apple partners with PayAnywhere for Apple Pay
- Report: iPhone 6S to retain 16GB base model
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- iPhone 6S to get front flash mode? (Update: Rose Gold color on the way)
- Report: iPhone 6S to support Motion wallpapers
- Rumor: iPhone 6S Plus to have smaller battery, packaging revealed?
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?