Cirago USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter
Cirago’s new USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter ($60) seems almost too good to be true: it’s designed to connect your Mac to an HDMI display, outputting through the USB port instead of having to rely on Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt. And it doesn’t just carry video—audio comes along for the ride too. Updated! New photos and details have been added below the fold.
If one extra monitor isn’t enough for your needs, you can hook up four of the adapters to connect to four different displays. Cirago has confirmed that this works, though obviously graphics card limitations may well apply. You also have to supply your own HDMI cable, but the company includes an HDMI to DVI adapter in the box if you’re hooking up to an older display. Update August 30, 2011: We’ve tested the USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter now with two different Macs, and there’s mixed news to share: when connected to a 720p television, each Mac’s top, left, and right sides of the screen were ever so slightly chopped off when performed through the Adapter. The cropping wouldn’t significantly impact a Mac’s ability to play back videos on an HDMI display, but it did cut the top-of-screen menu bar in two, as well as the left or right side dock if you have it there. But on a newer 1080p set, the Adapter operated either in 1920x1080 full-screen mode, or in a mirroring mode that presents the Mac’s screen in the center with black bars off to the sides. Notably, the USB 2.0 to HDMI Adapter requires installation of software drivers in order to work, but the process is relatively painless so long as you download the software from the DisplayLink website.
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015