D-Link Wireless AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Cloud Router
No, that’s not the new Mac Pro you’re looking at. Rather, it’s D-Link’s Wireless AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Cloud Router ($179, a.k.a. DIR-868L), which is ready to serve as a companion to Apple’s upcoming workstation—or any of its 802.11ac-equipped Macs. Much like the recently-introduced AirPort Extremes, this router is taller than it is wide, allowing for greater signal distribution. It offers similar features to Apple’s latest router, for $20 less.
The most important thing to know about the router is it provides a 2.4Ghz band at 450Mbps, and a 5Ghz band at 1300Mbps, as well as supporting AC SmartBeam—the company’s term for 802.11ac beamforming. It’ll target your 802.11ac devices, and send stronger signals directly to them. Naturally, it’s backwards compatible with older devices, though D-Link’s specs notably omit references to the old 802.11b standard. AC1750 also trumps the AirPort Extreme with a total of four Ethernet outputs, plus the standard one input, and a USB port that’s specified as USB 2.0 but looks a lot like USB 3.0 from the official images. One thing to bear in mind: D-Link’s confusing product naming scheme lists two AC1750s, one tube-shaped and the other boxy, with slightly different prices and features. This version appears to be the better pick.
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Apple sued over iWatch trademark it doesn’t own
- Apple progressing in TV service negotiations, aiming for fall debut
- Final major bank signs on as Apple Pay goes live in UK
- Apple releases iTunes 12.2.1 with iTunes Match, Apple Music fixes
- Big pharma firms looking to integrate ResearchKit
- M.I.A. project joins the ranks of Apple Music-exclusives
- Apple’s cut of streaming music rivals’ profits sparks antitrust inquiry
- New iPods coming July 14?
- Apple releases iOS 9 public beta
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?