D-Link Wireless AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Cloud Router
No, that’s not the new Mac Pro you’re looking at. Rather, it’s D-Link’s Wireless AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Cloud Router ($179, a.k.a. DIR-868L), which is ready to serve as a companion to Apple’s upcoming workstation—or any of its 802.11ac-equipped Macs. Much like the recently-introduced AirPort Extremes, this router is taller than it is wide, allowing for greater signal distribution. It offers similar features to Apple’s latest router, for $20 less.
The most important thing to know about the router is it provides a 2.4Ghz band at 450Mbps, and a 5Ghz band at 1300Mbps, as well as supporting AC SmartBeam—the company’s term for 802.11ac beamforming. It’ll target your 802.11ac devices, and send stronger signals directly to them. Naturally, it’s backwards compatible with older devices, though D-Link’s specs notably omit references to the old 802.11b standard. AC1750 also trumps the AirPort Extreme with a total of four Ethernet outputs, plus the standard one input, and a USB port that’s specified as USB 2.0 but looks a lot like USB 3.0 from the official images. One thing to bear in mind: D-Link’s confusing product naming scheme lists two AC1750s, one tube-shaped and the other boxy, with slightly different prices and features. This version appears to be the better pick.
- Happy Thanksgiving 2014 from iLounge!
- Apple highlights more Apple Watch info
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- Microsoft, Yahoo hope to replace Google for Safari default search?
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Handbrake updated to 0.10, adds new encoders + more
- Report: ‘Deep Organizational Issues’ at Apple affecting iCloud progress
- Apple announces Product(RED) Gift Cards for Black Friday
- Apple unveils Product(RED) apps for World AIDS Day 2014
- Verus Case Damda Slide for iPhone 6 Plus
- Heckler Design @Rest Stand for iPad (2014)
- Kerf Case Wood Cases for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio for iPhone 6 Plus
- ZeroChroma FluxStand-Compatible Car Vent Mount + Reflective Armband
- Griffin Slim Folio and Survivor All-Terrain for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Slide-Mount Combo Pack for iPad Folio-Slide Cases
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0