D-Link Wireless AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Cloud Router
No, that’s not the new Mac Pro you’re looking at. Rather, it’s D-Link’s Wireless AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Cloud Router ($179, a.k.a. DIR-868L), which is ready to serve as a companion to Apple’s upcoming workstation—or any of its 802.11ac-equipped Macs. Much like the recently-introduced AirPort Extremes, this router is taller than it is wide, allowing for greater signal distribution. It offers similar features to Apple’s latest router, for $20 less.
The most important thing to know about the router is it provides a 2.4Ghz band at 450Mbps, and a 5Ghz band at 1300Mbps, as well as supporting AC SmartBeam—the company’s term for 802.11ac beamforming. It’ll target your 802.11ac devices, and send stronger signals directly to them. Naturally, it’s backwards compatible with older devices, though D-Link’s specs notably omit references to the old 802.11b standard. AC1750 also trumps the AirPort Extreme with a total of four Ethernet outputs, plus the standard one input, and a USB port that’s specified as USB 2.0 but looks a lot like USB 3.0 from the official images. One thing to bear in mind: D-Link’s confusing product naming scheme lists two AC1750s, one tube-shaped and the other boxy, with slightly different prices and features. This version appears to be the better pick.
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?
- How do I find and remove only downloaded tracks with iTunes Match?