DotEmu Irem Arcade Hits
If you grew up playing video games during the ‘80s and ‘90s, the 18 arcade titles contained in DotEmu’s just-released Irem Arcade Hits ($10) are going to bring back a rush of memories. The collection includes some really seminal titles from the era when games were transitioning from 8- to 16-bits, as well as lesser-known releases and interesting sequels. If Irem’s name isn’t familiar, it’s the developer that originally released the Sega/NEC hit shooter R-Type, Nintendo’s Kung Fu, and Sega’s Vigilante, as well as many other good to great games.
Fans of 8-bit consoles will find the original arcade version of the NES game Kung Fu here as Kung-Fu Master alongside the beat-em-up Vigilante. Familiar from 16-bit consoles are the awesome platformer Ninja Spirit and shooters such as Gunforce and Image Fightr, while Japanese arcade game lovers may recall Dragon Breed, the amazing submarine game In The Hunt, obscure shooter R-Type Leo, and a street brawler called Undercover Cops. Several other Irem titles, including the Street Fighter-wannabe Superior Soldiers, Japanese-influenced Hammerin’ Harry and Legend of Hero Tonma, are also in the mix alongside Gunforce II, Cosmic Cop, and other games. While the emulation sometimes leaves a little to be desired in the keyboard department, and the games shift awkwardly between aspect ratios in filling the on-screen window, this is a very cool collection of classic and near-classic arcade titles from a developer that deserves to be remembered.
- Apple TV adds NatGeo TV channel
- Insteon’s HomeKit-enabled Hub now available
- Apple’s subscription TV service won’t be announced at WWDC next week
- WSJ: New Apple music service to debut at WWDC
- Updated Apple document claims Apple Watch won’t measure heart rate while in motion
- Report: Apple pursuing Drake for iTunes Radio guest DJ
- Typo to stop selling iPhone keyboard cases
- Apple issues workaround for Messages text string bug
- Apple acquires Metaio, an augmented reality company
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- RooCase Esteem for iPhone 6
- Spigen Apple Watch Stand S330
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?