DotEmu Irem Arcade Hits
If you grew up playing video games during the ‘80s and ‘90s, the 18 arcade titles contained in DotEmu’s just-released Irem Arcade Hits ($10) are going to bring back a rush of memories. The collection includes some really seminal titles from the era when games were transitioning from 8- to 16-bits, as well as lesser-known releases and interesting sequels. If Irem’s name isn’t familiar, it’s the developer that originally released the Sega/NEC hit shooter R-Type, Nintendo’s Kung Fu, and Sega’s Vigilante, as well as many other good to great games.
Fans of 8-bit consoles will find the original arcade version of the NES game Kung Fu here as Kung-Fu Master alongside the beat-em-up Vigilante. Familiar from 16-bit consoles are the awesome platformer Ninja Spirit and shooters such as Gunforce and Image Fightr, while Japanese arcade game lovers may recall Dragon Breed, the amazing submarine game In The Hunt, obscure shooter R-Type Leo, and a street brawler called Undercover Cops. Several other Irem titles, including the Street Fighter-wannabe Superior Soldiers, Japanese-influenced Hammerin’ Harry and Legend of Hero Tonma, are also in the mix alongside Gunforce II, Cosmic Cop, and other games. While the emulation sometimes leaves a little to be desired in the keyboard department, and the games shift awkwardly between aspect ratios in filling the on-screen window, this is a very cool collection of classic and near-classic arcade titles from a developer that deserves to be remembered.
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?