DotEmu Irem Arcade Hits
If you grew up playing video games during the ‘80s and ‘90s, the 18 arcade titles contained in DotEmu’s just-released Irem Arcade Hits ($10) are going to bring back a rush of memories. The collection includes some really seminal titles from the era when games were transitioning from 8- to 16-bits, as well as lesser-known releases and interesting sequels. If Irem’s name isn’t familiar, it’s the developer that originally released the Sega/NEC hit shooter R-Type, Nintendo’s Kung Fu, and Sega’s Vigilante, as well as many other good to great games.
Fans of 8-bit consoles will find the original arcade version of the NES game Kung Fu here as Kung-Fu Master alongside the beat-em-up Vigilante. Familiar from 16-bit consoles are the awesome platformer Ninja Spirit and shooters such as Gunforce and Image Fightr, while Japanese arcade game lovers may recall Dragon Breed, the amazing submarine game In The Hunt, obscure shooter R-Type Leo, and a street brawler called Undercover Cops. Several other Irem titles, including the Street Fighter-wannabe Superior Soldiers, Japanese-influenced Hammerin’ Harry and Legend of Hero Tonma, are also in the mix alongside Gunforce II, Cosmic Cop, and other games. While the emulation sometimes leaves a little to be desired in the keyboard department, and the games shift awkwardly between aspect ratios in filling the on-screen window, this is a very cool collection of classic and near-classic arcade titles from a developer that deserves to be remembered.
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Apple Music roundup: iOS 8.4 to get early Tuesday release, Sonos support on the way
- Apple suppliers now making iPhones with Force Touch
- Parrot announces North American details for new Minidrone lineup
- AppleCare+ now covers battery replacement at 80% of original capacity
- Elton John, Pharrell, Dr. Dre, Drake, St. Vincent, others to host Beats 1 shows
- Apps containing Confederate flag pulled from App Store
- Taylor Swift’s ‘1989’ album to stream on Apple Music
- Apple publishes detailed list of Siri HomeKit commands
- Apple to pay 0.2 cents per song during Apple Music free trial
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Audiofly AF120 In-Ear Monitors
- SwitchEasy Canvas + Rave for iPad Air 2
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?