Elgato Thunderbolt Dock
Elgato’s dabbled in Thunderbolt before with its Thunderbolt SSD and Thunderbolt Drive+, but now it’s taking a stab at docking stations with the aptly named Thunderbolt Dock ($230). Much like other docks we’ve seen, this unit is made to offer extra ports while only requiring a single connection back to the Mac. Something like this is especially useful for those using a MacBook Air. Read on for hands-on impressions.
Thunderbolt Dock includes nine ports, plus one for the 12V power adapter. There are two Thunderbolt ports—one is input, the other can be used for daisy chaining extra peripherals—an HDMI port, an Ethernet port, three USB 3.0 ports with support for bus-powered devices, an audio input port, and one for audio out. That’s comparable to Belkin’s Thunderbolt Express Dock which we’ve tried and liked, although this one includes HDMI rather than FireWire 800, and comes with a Thunderbolt cable.
Much like Belkin’s dock, there aren’t a lot of surprises here. Plug everything in, and it just works, as it should. The HDMI port is a notable feature, although pretty much any machine with Thunderbolt should be able to AirPlay to Apple TV, which is a less expensive solution. We look forward to the day when a power cord is no longer needed, but at this point, Elgato’s dock is as good as any other solution we’ve seen.
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Apple sued over iWatch trademark it doesn’t own
- Apple progressing in TV service negotiations, aiming for fall debut
- Final major bank signs on as Apple Pay goes live in UK
- Apple releases iTunes 12.2.1 with iTunes Match, Apple Music fixes
- Big pharma firms looking to integrate ResearchKit
- M.I.A. project joins the ranks of Apple Music-exclusives
- Apple’s cut of streaming music rivals’ profits sparks antitrust inquiry
- New iPods coming July 14?
- Apple releases iOS 9 public beta
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?