Found Software Found
Found Software’s new Found (Free) app is the latest third-party Spotlight alternative for your file-searching needs. Like Apple’s search tool, Found scans your Mac for files matching whatever term you put in. The big difference here is that it adds support for cloud storage systems including Dropbox, Gmail, and Google Docs/Drive. Once you’ve logged in to your accounts, just start typing in Found’s search window and boom—your files pop right up.
Users have two different ways to pull up Found. Either click on the colorful icon in the menu bar, or simply double-tap the control key. Either way, the app slides in from the left side of your Mac’s screen, ready to go. All of the results are completely draggable, allowing you to bring them to the desktop or into an email quickly. The company is quick to point out that all logins and passwords are stored in the Keychain, and that no personal data is indexed. One word of warning: most Found reviews have been positive, but some users have expressed concern over the amount of RAM it uses, its GPU requirements, and how the app may download some files to index them—given that it’s free, you can decide for yourself whether these tradeoffs are worthwhile for its enhanced capabilities.
- Notes from Apple’s Q3 2015 earnings call
- Apple Q3 2015: Record $49.6B revenue, 47.5M iPhones, 10.9M iPads
- Home Sharing for Music returns in iOS 9 beta 4
- FastMail adds full support for push e-mail in iOS Mail
- Apple releases fourth iOS 9 beta to developers
- New fingerprint scanner tech could lead to Touch ID built into iPhone display
- Apple recruits another auto expert for rumored car project
- Silcon Valley companies join Samsung in patent fight against Apple
- Analyst claims new iPad mini, gold Apple Watch colors coming this year
- iPod touch, nano, and shuffle color comparison photos
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?