As great as it may be, the Mac App Store isn’t the only or even the original digital storefront for Apple’s computers. Back in 2009, Freshcode released Bodega (Free), and it’s still going strong today. Just like Cupertino’s version, you can browse through free and paid apps, and buy them right through the store. Bodega also has some features that Apple doesn’t offer, including the ability to update tons of apps that aren’t in the App Store.
There is some overlap between apps in the Mac App Store and Bodega, but plenty are available only in the latter, including big-name titles such as Dragon Dictate and Daylite. One feature that we really, really like: Bodega searches through the apps on your machine—even those that weren’t purchased through it and are not even in Bodega’s store—then finds and installs updates for them. While some of our editors have had hang-ups in the process, with apps that won’t update using Bodega’s system, it’s worked really well for the rest of us, and at the very least provides a place where you can see all of the updates that are available for non-App Store releases.
- Apple releases new iTunes 12 beta
- Alleged rear shell for 5.5” iPhone 6 leaked
- Video Review: Otterbox Agility Tablet System
- NFL Now channel comes to Apple TV
- New iPhone 6 schematic leak shows protruding camera lens
- Mercedes, Volvo delay CarPlay support until 2015
- iOS 8 beta suggests 1472x828 resolution, more icons for iPhone 6 Home Screen?
- Report: Apple releases iOS 8 beta 6 to testing partners
- Sprint announces Family Share Pack data plans
- Report: 5.5” iPhone 6 to use 2915 mAh battery
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- Go Design TravelCard Charger
- OtterBox Agility Tablet System for iPad Air
- SwitchEasy B’Spoke for iPad Air
- Kero Products Nomad Cable Lightning
- Juno Labs Juno Power Junojumpr
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today