As great as it may be, the Mac App Store isn’t the only or even the original digital storefront for Apple’s computers. Back in 2009, Freshcode released Bodega (Free), and it’s still going strong today. Just like Cupertino’s version, you can browse through free and paid apps, and buy them right through the store. Bodega also has some features that Apple doesn’t offer, including the ability to update tons of apps that aren’t in the App Store.
There is some overlap between apps in the Mac App Store and Bodega, but plenty are available only in the latter, including big-name titles such as Dragon Dictate and Daylite. One feature that we really, really like: Bodega searches through the apps on your machine—even those that weren’t purchased through it and are not even in Bodega’s store—then finds and installs updates for them. While some of our editors have had hang-ups in the process, with apps that won’t update using Bodega’s system, it’s worked really well for the rest of us, and at the very least provides a place where you can see all of the updates that are available for non-App Store releases.
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015