Gameloft N.O.V.A. 2 Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance
Remember when Bungie unceremoniously walked away from the Mac platform, taking its soon-to-be-blockbuster first-person shooter Halo to Microsoft’s nascent Xbox platform? Well, you still can’t play Halo’s sequels on a Mac, but Gameloft’s N.O.V.A. 2 Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance ($10)—the iOS alternative to Halo 2—is arriving in the Mac App Store today, complete with high-resolution graphics, a 13-mission single-player campaign, and a 10-player online multiplayer mode. You take control of Kal Wardin, a Master Chief-alike protagonist who makes his way through sci-fi military base, space station, desert and jungle levels, armed with futuristic guns, vehicles, and even a giant mech.
We reviewed the iOS version of N.O.V.A. 2 when it was released at the end of last year, praising the game’s intense action, improved graphics, and efforts—sometimes half-hearted—to distinguish itself from the Halo series it obviously borrowed from. You still get weapons such as double handguns, an assault rifle, and alien guns, but there are also freeze, slow time, and disc melee attacks that are (sort of) unique to the N.O.V.A. series. The Mac version features the same 10 multiplayer maps and 5 multiplayer modes, plus support for 10-player simultaneous local play. Because the N.O.V.A. 2 code was optimized for low-powered iOS devices, it runs blazingly fast on even MacBook Air computers, with noticeably higher-resolution textures and frame rates.
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?