iDevelop Co. Lock Screen 2
Even though iOS users have been using it for four years, the “Slide to Unlock” gesture is still pretty cool. Most likely because they don’t have touch screens, Apple hasn’t yet brought the gesture to Macs, even with the addition of Multi-Touch trackpads to the whole family. Luckily, Mac App Store developer iDevelop Co. has come up with an app called Lock Screen 2 ($2/$5). In addition to adding a sliding lock mechanism to your Mac, it lets you choose a customized lock screen graphic, sound effects, and more, creating a layer of passive or active screen security for your computer.
The software gives you a few different ways to unlock your machine, above and beyond a standard password. You can slide left to right across your trackpad, or across any five keys in a row—left to right only—for the same effect. There’s also the option to use “passpattern,” a series of keystrokes that can be rapidly typed or slid across to unlock the screen. You can choose something straight—say, sliding through “QWERTY”—or zig-zag through the keyboard if you choose, so long as you’re quick at typing the phrase. Lock Screen 2 is on sale right now, and will be going up to its full price shortly.
- Amazon to ban sale of Apple TV
- Former Boeing CFO James Bell elected to Apple’s Board of Directors
- Apple releases iOS 9.1 beta 3 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 9.0.2
- Cook urges businesses, governments to address social problems
- A note on our iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus case reviews
- Apple pulls app that documented US drone strikes
- Apple Music, iTunes movies and iBooks made available in China
- Google Maps gets Apple Watch support
- Apple Pay coming to Canada by late October?
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- TrackR bravo
- Apple iPad mini 4 Silicone Case + Smart Cover
- Apple iPad mini 4
- Fluance Fi50 Bluetooth speaker
- Ultimate Ears UE Boom 2
- Jaybird X2 Bluetooth Headphones
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?