iFixit Mac Mini Dual Hard Drive Kit
The new Mac mini has plenty of space inside for a second hard drive, but Apple charges a huge premium to install a second drive or SSD inside. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to take advantage of the space. To help you out, the folks over at iFixit have come up with Mac Mini Dual Hard Drive Kit ($70), which has all the pieces you need, except for the hard drive, which you choose yourself.
Inside the Dual Hard Drive Kit are a proprietary SATA hard drive cable, shock-absorbing mounting grommets, mounting screws, a Mac mini Logic Board removal tool, a 26-piece bit drive kit, and a spudger to open the computer. You can plug in any standard 2.5” SATA drive, but it’s easiest to recommend adding an SSD, which can really speed the mini up if used as a boot drive. Fair warning: the company lists this as a difficult installation, and any time you start poking around inside your Mac, it voids the warranty. You can decide whether this is a small price to pay to turn your mini into a more powerful little monster.
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?