Jake Harms Macquarium
Classic Apple products have been repurposed into everything from clocks to iPad docks. Jake Harms’ version of the Mac de-evolution is Macquarium ($199), which is exactly what it sounds like: a fully functionting aquarium made out of a G3 iMac, complete with a built-in filter and lights.
Harms acquires the computers from local recyclers. After sprucing them up and taking out all of the electronic guts, he installs a three and a half gallon tank, suitable for keeping one to three fish. Right now you can get blue, aqua, white, smoke, red, Flower Power, and Blue Dalmatian patterns. If you have your own slot-loading G3 lying around, he also sells do-it-yourself conversion kits for $135. The kit includes the custom tank, a filter, a three foot rope light, light switch, six foot power cord, tank mounting hardware, and wire ties; you supply the tools.
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 logic board leak shows NFC, A8 chips
- Massive report reveals Apple’s PR strategies
- iWatch not shipping until 2015?
- Report: Dutch chipmaker NXP to provide iPhone 6 NFC chips
- Video Review: Parrot’s Jumping Sumo and Rolling Spider
- Apps of the Week: Hyperlapse, BioShock, Asphalt 8 1.5 + more
- Apple sends out invites to September 9 event
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Juno Labs Juno Power HUE Pro
- Parrot Minidrone Jumping Sumo
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today