Just Mobile AluDisc
It should come as a surprise to no one that Just Mobile is back at it again, with yet another handsome metal Mac accessory made to fill a need you might not even know you had. This time, it’s AluDisc ($70). If you guessed it’s a disc of aluminum, you’re right on. It’s a stand, giving your iMac or Apple display the ability to rotate 360 degrees. Updated with new photos and hands-on impressions!
The aluminum circle is 11 inches in diameter, and just over three-quarters of an inch tall. Inside, there’s a ball-bearing system that allows it to easily spin all the way around. Just Mobile says this is great for reshaping your workspace, or even just accessing your ports without having to reach around blindly. We could see it being particularly useful in a business setting, where one might want to rotate an iMac to show what’s on the screen.
Updated: Originally announced at the end of May, AluDisc is now actually shipping, and we’ve had an opportunity to try it out. The pedestal is quite big, with enough space to accommodate a 27” iMac or Thunderbolt Display leg with a little bit of room to spare on each side. Unlike the swirled silver top, the plastic bottom is completely covered in rubber, with a small gap to let the disc swivel in complete silence through 360 degrees of freedom. Our review sample looked great and worked perfectly, with the footprint as its only arguable issue; while it’s right-sized for Macs, it’s too big to fit properly atop Just Mobile’s Drawer, which we continue to love. If all you’re looking for is less than an inch of elevation and some rotation, consider it. We’re hoping to see a combo of the two ideas in a future sequel.
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?