Kanex didn’t make the functionality of its mySpot ($60) crystal clear at first, but now that we’ve had a chance to explore it, it makes sense and is actually pretty darn cool. Heavily advertised as a solution for hotel rooms, it’s a tiny wireless router—although that term is never used by the company. The 2.75” x 1.0” x 0.75”, 1.1oz device turns any wired internet connection into a Wi-Fi network for use with your Mac, iPhone, iPad, or any other wireless devices.
To create your wireless network, just plug an Ethernet cable into one end of mySpot and find a USB port for the plug at the other side. This can be an empty USB port on your computer or a standalone wall adapter; either way, it works the same. From there, you use an integrated web page to change settings such as the network password. Of course, you can create an ad-hoc Wi-Fi network from your Mac itself, but this allows you to skip that step and could really come in handy for times you’re traveling without a computer. It’s kind of like a much more compact version of the AirPort Express, minus a handful of the features.
- Apple and GSMA in talks to adopt embedded SIM technology
- New iOS scam surfaces as crash warnings in Safari browser popups
- Initial benchmarks show new iPod touch running slightly slower than iPhone 6
- Apple unveils new iPod touch, new nano and shuffle colors
- Logitech debuts Logi BLOK cases for iPad Air 2
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Apple sued over iWatch trademark it doesn’t own
- Apple progressing in TV service negotiations, aiming for fall debut
- Final major bank signs on as Apple Pay goes live in UK
- Apple releases iTunes 12.2.1 with iTunes Match, Apple Music fixes
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?