Kanex didn’t make the functionality of its mySpot ($60) crystal clear at first, but now that we’ve had a chance to explore it, it makes sense and is actually pretty darn cool. Heavily advertised as a solution for hotel rooms, it’s a tiny wireless router—although that term is never used by the company. The 2.75” x 1.0” x 0.75”, 1.1oz device turns any wired internet connection into a Wi-Fi network for use with your Mac, iPhone, iPad, or any other wireless devices.
To create your wireless network, just plug an Ethernet cable into one end of mySpot and find a USB port for the plug at the other side. This can be an empty USB port on your computer or a standalone wall adapter; either way, it works the same. From there, you use an integrated web page to change settings such as the network password. Of course, you can create an ad-hoc Wi-Fi network from your Mac itself, but this allows you to skip that step and could really come in handy for times you’re traveling without a computer. It’s kind of like a much more compact version of the AirPort Express, minus a handful of the features.
- Apps of the Week: Star Walk 2, Swing Copters, Vine 2.5 + more
- Apple releases new iTunes 12 beta
- Alleged rear shell for 5.5” iPhone 6 leaked
- Video Review: Otterbox Agility Tablet System
- NFL Now channel comes to Apple TV
- New iPhone 6 schematic leak shows protruding camera lens
- Mercedes, Volvo delay CarPlay support until 2015
- iOS 8 beta suggests 1472x828 resolution, more icons for iPhone 6 Home Screen?
- Report: Apple releases iOS 8 beta 6 to testing partners
- Sprint announces Family Share Pack data plans
- Parrot Minidrone Rolling Spider
- Stem Innovation Izon View
- Zivix PUC Wireless MIDI Link
- IK Multimedia iRig Voice
- Ten One Design Magnus Air
- Go Design TravelCard Charger
- OtterBox Agility Tablet System for iPad Air
- SwitchEasy B’Spoke for iPad Air
- Kero Products Nomad Cable Lightning
- Juno Labs Juno Power Junojumpr
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today