Ken Segall Insanely Simple
It was his official biography, but Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson wasn’t the last word on Apple’s former CEO or his ability to “think different.” In fact, Jobs’ death seems to have opened the floodgates for behind-the-scenes information about Apple, as new books about the man and the company are now debuting every few months. The most recent is Insanely Simple: The Obsession That Drives Apple’s Success ($26) by Ken Segall. Having worked for Jobs as a marketing executive assisting both Apple and NeXT, Segall now gets to relay some of his experiences in this fascinating book, which starts out so strong that you’ll forgive it for softening a little towards the end.
Insanely Simple’s thesis is that Apple and Jobs shared a defining characteristic: a fixation on elegance. Thanks to Segall’s access to Jobs during pivotal points in the latter’s career—the naming of the iMac and the development of the Think Different campaign—the author is able to shed extra light on how Apple’s most famous CEO worked, including his willingness to fight for simpler, straightforward product names and ideas, as well as his creation of small teams rather than large ones to handle every major task at Apple. Segall also contrasts Apple’s approach with Intel and Dell, companies he attempted to assist with marketing campaigns, only to find them irredeemably bureaucratic and creatively stilted. Surprisingly successful at driving home the importance of Jobs’ business values, while simultaneously giving readers pangs of jealousy (namely friendly, somewhat casual late night strategizing calls from the CEO himself), Insanely Simple is a must-read for Jobs fans and entrepreneurs alike. It’s available for a much lower price in digital formats online.
- Apple releases first Apple Watch Software Update
- Apple extends agreement with TomTom for Maps
- Apple releases iPhone Lightning Dock with iPhone 6/iPhone 6 Plus compatibility
- Apple, others urge Obama not to limit encryption
- WSJ: Apple dropped TV set plans ‘more than a year ago’
- Appeals court cuts award in Apple’s $930M win over Samsung
- Apple developing ‘Find my Watch’ for Apple Watch; new Apple TV larger in size?
- Apple acquires GPS firm Coherent Navigation
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple to drop iPhone 3G, 3GS support as of June 9th
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?