Ken Segall Insanely Simple
It was his official biography, but Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson wasn’t the last word on Apple’s former CEO or his ability to “think different.” In fact, Jobs’ death seems to have opened the floodgates for behind-the-scenes information about Apple, as new books about the man and the company are now debuting every few months. The most recent is Insanely Simple: The Obsession That Drives Apple’s Success ($26) by Ken Segall. Having worked for Jobs as a marketing executive assisting both Apple and NeXT, Segall now gets to relay some of his experiences in this fascinating book, which starts out so strong that you’ll forgive it for softening a little towards the end.
Insanely Simple’s thesis is that Apple and Jobs shared a defining characteristic: a fixation on elegance. Thanks to Segall’s access to Jobs during pivotal points in the latter’s career—the naming of the iMac and the development of the Think Different campaign—the author is able to shed extra light on how Apple’s most famous CEO worked, including his willingness to fight for simpler, straightforward product names and ideas, as well as his creation of small teams rather than large ones to handle every major task at Apple. Segall also contrasts Apple’s approach with Intel and Dell, companies he attempted to assist with marketing campaigns, only to find them irredeemably bureaucratic and creatively stilted. Surprisingly successful at driving home the importance of Jobs’ business values, while simultaneously giving readers pangs of jealousy (namely friendly, somewhat casual late night strategizing calls from the CEO himself), Insanely Simple is a must-read for Jobs fans and entrepreneurs alike. It’s available for a much lower price in digital formats online.
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Toyota currently has ‘no plans’ to adopt CarPlay in the US
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- iWalk Rugged Power Case for iPhone 6
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?
- How do I find and remove only downloaded tracks with iTunes Match?