LaCie 8big Rack Thunderbolt 2
External storage developer LaCie’s support for the Intel- and Apple-developed Thunderbolt connectivity standard was unwavering, so it’s no surprise to see the company debuting multiple early Thunderbolt 2 solutions. In addition to faster versions of its prior 2big and 5big desktop hard drive systems, LaCie has announced 8big Rack Thunderbolt 2 ($TBD)—a rack-mounted multi-drive solution with your choice of 12TB, 24TB, or 48TB of capacity. While it’s not as fancy on the outside as LaCie’s other storage solutions, the box opens to reveal eight hard drive bays that can be loaded up with 3TB or 6TB Seagate 7200RPM drives, run in tandem for high-speed video editing and storage.
As a 1U rack-mounted box with a ton of storage, 8big Rack is the sort of hard drive solution professional video renderers and editors would use for feature-length films—LaCie notes that it’s ideal for RAW files in Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere, and capable of 1330 Megabyte/second transfer speeds, fast enough for 4K video editing. Two Thunderbolt 2 ports are on the box, which has completely redundant fans and power supplies, as well as hot-swappable drives and hardware RAID 5/6 support built in. Pricing will be announced for the 12TB/24TB/48TB versions as soon as 8big Rack is available.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?