Leap Motion Leap
If Apple has proven anything over the past five years, it’s that there’s no reason that computing needs to remain locked into traditional input schemes. Most people still use keyboards and mice, but Multi-Touch is quickly becoming the preferred method for many, and has been improving for complex tasks. Leap Motion is doing its part to shake up the status quo in a different way with limited pre-orders of its Leap ($70). The idea here is motion control; think Microsoft’s Kinect, but a whole lot smaller and supposedly more accurate, too.
Leap is a tiny box—between the size of a flash drive and an iPod—that plugs into your Mac via USB. From there, the hardware creates a space of eight cubic feet in which it can track your movements and interpret them with software. The company claims it can track individual fingers, and monitor movements down to 1/100th of a millimeter, allowing you to control your computer in any way you see fit. An SDK will be going out to developers within the next few months. We’re certainly intrigued to see what the future holds, and whether Leap is part of it. Leap Motion expects to start shipping its hardware outside of its initial pre-order list this winter.
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?