Logic Consulting Drone Station
Before Parrot released AR.Drone in 2010, it gave third-party developers access to software tools so they could create their own games, camera apps, and other tools for the toy. Thus far, AR.Drone apps have only appeared for iOS and Android devices, but now the first one has launched for the Mac. Logic Consulting’s Drone Station ($13) expands not only the ways you can control the flyer, but also gives you video recording and other tools directly from on your computer.
The number of controllers the app supports is pretty impressive. You use your Mac’s keyboard and mouse, but you also have the option of a wired USB Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 controller, Logitech’s Extreme 3D Pro joystick, a Dual Action Gamepad, Thrustmaster’s T-Flight Hotas X, or Wii Motion Controllers with the Nunchuk and/or Balance Board. You can capture stills and video from both of the Drone’s cameras, and there’s even a simulator so that you can practice your controls before flight. If you want to extend the Wi-Fi range of your Mac, the developer notes that you can do that with Drone Station in a way that you can’t with pocket devices. The price strikes us as a little high relative to the iOS apps we’ve tested, but if you’ve already invested in the quadricopter, you may find the added control options to be worth the expenditure.
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- Report: Bank verification methods leave Apple Pay vulnerable to fraud
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014