MacPhun FX Photo Studio Pro
If you’re taking photos using an iPod touch or iPad, you almost need to add cool visual effects to your pictures to make them worthy of sharing—and there are tons of apps to do just that. Now one of them has come to the Mac App Store from MacPhun: FX Photo Studio Pro ($40) provides you with 159 different filter-style effects that can be quickly applied to any photo, resulting in dramatically enhanced colors, sophisticated explosive blurs, and other effects that might otherwise have demanded more expensive software. Best yet, the UI is very iPad-like, so it’s super easy to use.
A scrolling pane at the bottom of the screen lets you move effect by effect through the entire collection, but since there are so many, you’ll likely want to filter the filters using a hover-over sorting menu. There are enough variations on given color themes that you’ll definitely find bunches of different alternatives without doing any tweaking of your own, but sliders let you make image-specific adjustments that can be saved as presets for later use. You can also easily compare originals to edited versions and perform simple crops and rotations directly within the app. While the $40 asking price is a crazy jump over the $3 iPad version, it’s on sale for $30 as of the time of posting, and a $20 non-Pro edition is on sale for $15. The Pro version includes additional Photoshop-like editing tools for sharpening, noise reduction, and support for up to 32MP RAW images; the standard version is capped at 16MP and supports JPEGs, TIFFs, PNGs, and BMPs.
- Apple TV, iPad Pro to be sold online in late October, in stores early November?
- iBooks adds exclusive enhanced editions of Harry Potter series
- Report: Barclays to launch Apple Pay support in the UK early next year
- Apple reveals Beats Pill+ speaker
- Antitrust monitor: Apple is ‘its own worst enemy’
- Report: Apple holding $181.1 billion in offshore tax havens
- Apple releases fourth iOS 9.1 beta, third tvOS beta to developers
- Apple taking reservations for new iPhones in six European countries
- Apple adds transit directions for Boston, Sydney
- Apple acquires artificial intelligence firm Perceptio
- Parrot Jumping Night and Jumping Race Drones
- Trident Case Aegis Pro Case for iPhone 6/6s
- Scosche boomBOTTLE+ Waterproof Wireless Speaker
- Just Mobile Quattro Folio for iPhone 6s
- X-Doria Defense Lux for iPhone 6s/6
- Spigen Perfect Armor for iPhone 6s, Slim/Tough Armor for iPhone 6s Plus
- Spigen Neo Hybrid / Carbon / EX + Ultra Hybrid for iPhone 6s/6s Plus
- Speck CandyShell Clear and CandyShell Inked Jonathan Adler for iPhone 6/6s
- BenQ treVolo Bluetooth Portable Electrostatic Speaker
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?