Magma ExpressBox 1T + 3T
Thunderbolt accessories obviously haven’t exactly taken off like wildfire—they’re actually still fairly uncommon, particularly now that USB 3.0 ports have been added to the latest Macs. But there are still professional accessories that can benefit from Thunderbolt’s additional speed, including peripherals like Magma’s new ExpressBox 1T ($479) and earlier ExpressBox 3T ($979). Promising twice the speed of USB 3.0 and twelve times the speed of FireWire, each lets you connect any half-length/full-height PCI Express card to any Thunderbolt-equipped Mac; ExpressBox 3T includes three PCIe slots, and 1T has one, bridging the gap between boxy desktop PCs and ever-slimming Macs.
Handsomely designed to resemble Mac Pros, both ExpressBoxes consist of a Mac-matching silver aluminum housing with two fans inside, plus twin Thunderbolt ports and a wall power port on the back. You slide open the 1T chassis from the rear, and the 3T chassis from the top, inserting your choice of PCIe cards—Magma notes that its 7.75” slots are the most compatible in this genre of accessories. While the one-slot 1T ships with a 65W power supply, the three-slot 3T has a 250W power supply with ports for two additional power connectors if you need them. Magma notes that both ExpressBoxes are capable of handling at least one PCIe x16 card, though the Thunderbolt spec is capped at x4 speeds. As is almost always the case, you’ll have to supply your own Thunderbolt cable for connection to your Mac.
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?