Mission Workshop Arkiv Field Pack
No matter what you need to carry alongside your Mac laptop—tools, folios, iPhone, textbooks, or a couple changes of clothes—the new Mission Workshop Arkiv Field Pack ($209 and up) is ready for the challenge. Sold in 1200-cubic inch and 2200-cubic inch versions, the former large enough for any full day of activities, the latter super-sized for a few days’ worth of gear, this modular backpack system grows with the parts you add onto it. Updated July 13, 2012 with additional photos and hands-on impressions, following our initial May 23, 2012 preview.
The Arkiv Field Pack is designed to be completely customizable, thanks to an interchangeable accessory system that lets you arrange the pack to meet your needs. Six accessories are offered, including two different types of laptop holders—one ready for the 11” Air or an iPad, the other for up to 15” MacBooks—and several different types of pouches, all attachable to Arkiv’s exterior. The core pack’s features include a 1000 denier nylon exterior, a weatherproof urethane coated nylon liner, waterproof urethane zippers, and your choice of three colors.
Hands-On: We thought Mission Workshop’s The Sanction Rucksack was a serious bag when we tested it, but Arkiv Field Pack seriously one-ups it with such an incredible array of expansion options that the latter is practically battlefield-ready. Even the straps have straps: nylon rails allow you to slide on the optional external carriers, which feel just as well-built and water-safe as the main bag, locking in place with double Velcro straps so you won’t accidentally lose a laptop during your adventures. Field Pack’s interior pockets are spacious but not numerous, with three separate places to put items ranging from small to large/full-bag-length in size. Nicely foam padded arm straps with breathable mesh are highlights of the back side, one sporting the only branding on the bag—a set of four X marks.
Is Arkiv Field Pack overkill for carrying a Mac laptop? Perhaps. But for carrying a whole lot of stuff plus a MacBook or an iPad? Brilliant and seriously badass. Consider The Sanction as an alternative if expandability and raw carrying capacity aren’t your critical concerns; if you really want a very specifically dedicated compartment just for your MacBook or iPad, Arkiv might be a better (though pricier) pick.
- Google releases Google Street View app for iOS
- Apple admits Apple Music still needs work, says iTunes downloads remain strong
- Judge approves $415M settlement in anti-poaching lawsuit
- Report: Apple to debut ‘iPad Pro’ on Sept. 9
- iPhone 6S to use 7000 series aluminum from Apple Watch Sport
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Retrial for damages in Apple patent case set for March or April
- Google omits HealthKit support from Android Wear iOS app
- Belkin WeMo + OSRAM Lightify White Tunable Starter Set
- Logitech Logi BLOK cases for iPad mini + iPad Air 2
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?