We’ve always wanted to fill that hole on the iMac’s leg with something other than just cables, but to the best of our knowledge, no company has come up with something meaningful to do with it. Now, with the announcement of mBack ($169-$349) from mLogic, the hole has a purpose beyond cable management. mBack is an external hard drive that takes up no space on your desk; it mounts right on the iMac’s back, leaving you room for all your other gadgets.
mBack is going to be available in 1TB, 2TB, and 3TB models, each with a USB 2.0 connection. The mount is designed to fit on any of the aluminum iMacs, dating back to the 21” and 24” models from mid-2007, as well as the LED Cinema Display and the Thunderbolt Display. mBack’s drive isn’t USB powered, but the company notes that it uses up to 30% less power than other drives, and runs cool and quiet. We’ll see if it lives up to expectations when it’s released in November.
- Taiwan court rules Samsung used stolen trade secrets to make A9 chip
- Apple loses German patent lawsuit over slide-to-unlock feature
- Best Buy expanding Apple Watch sales to all its stores in September
- Philips introduces dimmer remote kit for Hue lights
- Report: Apple ending One to One tutoring program
- Rumor: Apple working on health tracking ‘smart bands’ for Apple Watch
- Apple provides iPads to 114 schools through ConnectED program
- Apple to streamline Genius Bar, Workshop scheduling online
- Apple offering free replacements for some defective iPhone 6 Plus cameras
- Dr. Dre, Apple make statements on Beats co-founder’s abusive past
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- Native Union Clic 360 for iPhone 6
- Wirelessky iStand 6 for iPhone 6
- Just Mobile Lounge Dock for Apple Watch
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?