Apple pitches smaller as better, and with only a few notable exceptions, we’re usually inclined to agree. But sometimes the ergonomic needs of an input device can justify a larger footprint, and that’s why we’re interested in Moshi’s new Luna ($100), a keyboard the company unveiled at the 2012 International CES. Yes, it’s bigger than Apple’s Wireless Keyboard—wider, taller, and deeper than even the Apple Keyboard with the numeric keypad—but some users will find that its good looks make up for the added size. Updated February 14, 2012 with hands-on details!
Like the larger model of Apple’s keyboard, Luna has a full layout with a number pad and all—in fact, the layout is almost identical, though the function key collection moves volume and other buttons around, while adding a few keys that can be used on PCs. Most of the extra size comes from a substantial clear acrylic frame that extends out from the sides and down, adding only a centimeter to each side, as well as an inch and a half at the bottom. Moshi says this is to provide a “zero-gravity” appearance. Both the acrylic and the keys light up with several levels of brightness, enabling easier typing in a dark room while providing a striking illuminated area on a desk. Luna probably isn’t the best choice for users trying to go wireless, as it does connect over USB, yet doesn’t include a pass-through USB port like Apple’s wired keyboards. It does feature a 9-degree incline, however, a steeper angle than Apple’s ever-flattening typing surfaces, and the scissor-style kets are every bit as responsive as the ones Mac users would expect from official keyboards. A very large microfiber cleaning cloth is included to keep the glossy top surfaces shiny, as well.
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- Apple Music makes subscriptions available through carriers, adds iCloud Music Library
- Apple Music makes much-anticipated debut with iOS 8.4 release
- Apple Q3 earnings call set for July 21
- Iovine: Human curation is key for Apple Music
- Dr. Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ to make streaming debut on Apple Music
- Apple Music roundup: iOS 8.4 to get early Tuesday release, Sonos support on the way
- Apple suppliers now making iPhones with Force Touch
- Parrot announces North American details for new Minidrone lineup
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Ultimate Ears UE Roll Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Braven BRV-PRO Bluetooth Speaker
- Olloclip Active Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?