Apple pitches smaller as better, and with only a few notable exceptions, we’re usually inclined to agree. But sometimes the ergonomic needs of an input device can justify a larger footprint, and that’s why we’re interested in Moshi’s new Luna ($100), a keyboard the company unveiled at the 2012 International CES. Yes, it’s bigger than Apple’s Wireless Keyboard—wider, taller, and deeper than even the Apple Keyboard with the numeric keypad—but some users will find that its good looks make up for the added size. Updated February 14, 2012 with hands-on details!
Like the larger model of Apple’s keyboard, Luna has a full layout with a number pad and all—in fact, the layout is almost identical, though the function key collection moves volume and other buttons around, while adding a few keys that can be used on PCs. Most of the extra size comes from a substantial clear acrylic frame that extends out from the sides and down, adding only a centimeter to each side, as well as an inch and a half at the bottom. Moshi says this is to provide a “zero-gravity” appearance. Both the acrylic and the keys light up with several levels of brightness, enabling easier typing in a dark room while providing a striking illuminated area on a desk. Luna probably isn’t the best choice for users trying to go wireless, as it does connect over USB, yet doesn’t include a pass-through USB port like Apple’s wired keyboards. It does feature a 9-degree incline, however, a steeper angle than Apple’s ever-flattening typing surfaces, and the scissor-style kets are every bit as responsive as the ones Mac users would expect from official keyboards. A very large microfiber cleaning cloth is included to keep the glossy top surfaces shiny, as well.
- Verizon sponsoring ad-free listening to all U.S. iTunes Radio users
- Microsoft, Yahoo hope to replace Google for Safari default search?
- T-Mobile required to fully disclose throttled data speeds
- Steve Jobs biopic picked up by Universal, Fassbender to star
- Handbrake updated to 0.10, adds new encoders + more
- Report: ‘Deep Organizational Issues’ at Apple affecting iCloud progress
- Apple announces Product(RED) Gift Cards for Black Friday
- Apple unveils Product(RED) apps for World AIDS Day 2014
- Apps of the Week: Sago Mini Road Trip, Football Manager Handheld 2015, Deliveries 6.0 + more
- Square plans to accept Apple Pay in 2015
- Verus Case Damda Slide for iPhone 6 Plus
- Heckler Design @Rest Stand for iPad (2014)
- Kerf Case Wood Cases for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio for iPhone 6 Plus
- ZeroChroma FluxStand-Compatible Car Vent Mount + Reflective Armband
- Griffin Slim Folio and Survivor All-Terrain for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Slide-Mount Combo Pack for iPad Folio-Slide Cases
- G-Project G-Go Outdoor Wireless Speaker (2014)
- SteelSeries Stratus XL Gaming Controller
- Belkin/Jarden Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Coffeemaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0