Nikon D800 + D800E
Professional photographers, the wait is over. Nikon has finally announced two new DSLR cameras—the D800 and D800E ($3,000-$3,300)—and boy, do they have some killer specs. The first thing that jumps out is the whopping 36.3-Megapixel Nikon FX-format full-frame CMOS sensor, but also in the mix are an improved 51-point AF system, 3.2-inch LCD monitor, and 1080p video recording, with plenty of manual controls for videographers. Then there’s that special E model, which seems hell-bent on erasing the need for traditional medium-format cameras altogether.
Since basically all of the guts are the same, what’s the difference between the cameras? The pricier D800E features an optical filter with all the anti-aliasing properties removed, paving the way for even sharper images. The feature is not for everyone—repeating patterns can end up causing nearly-unremovable moiré—but it makes more of the 36-Megapixel sensor’s raw resolution-gathering capabilities, and will be a medium format-camera killer. Both models are up for preorder right now, but demand is high; don’t expect to get one right away unless you already have an order in.
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?