OWC Data Doubler
If you’re running out of storage space on your MacBook or MacBook Pro, haven’t used your SuperDrive in years, and don’t mind doing a little bit of surgery, you’re exactly the person OWC has in mind with its Data Doubler. This DIY mounting kit comes with a 1TB drive, so you can upgrade your Mac to internal storage of up to 1.75TB, or a full 2TB if you also swap out the drive that came with your Mac. Data Doubler fits in unibody MacBooks—white and aluminum—as well as all unibody MacBook Pros.
It’s important to understand that Data Doubler completely replaces your SuperDrive—but the MacBook Air has demonstrated that losing a DVD drive is not a huge deal these days. All of the tools for the upgrade are included, which means you can just follow the videos OWC has on its site and you’ll be good to go. Once installed, you can treat the drive however you’d like: as an individual volume, one large one in conjunction with the existing drive, RAID-0, Time Machine, or even as a pure Windows drive. (Wait, did we just say that?) In any case, it’s a darn good deal for less than $200, assuming you want to carry a mountain of data everywhere you go.
- China outpaces U.S. in iPhone sales for first time
- Notes from Apple’s Q2 2015 earnings call
- Apple Q2 2015: Record $58B revenue, 61.1M iPhones, 12.6M iPads
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4 beta to developers
- Major hospital links HealthKit data to patient records
- Apple Pay adds Discover cards
- Apple enables iTunes donations for Nepal earthquake
- Apple’s third-generation Siri built on Mesos platform
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?