OWC Data Doubler
If you’re running out of storage space on your MacBook or MacBook Pro, haven’t used your SuperDrive in years, and don’t mind doing a little bit of surgery, you’re exactly the person OWC has in mind with its Data Doubler. This DIY mounting kit comes with a 1TB drive, so you can upgrade your Mac to internal storage of up to 1.75TB, or a full 2TB if you also swap out the drive that came with your Mac. Data Doubler fits in unibody MacBooks—white and aluminum—as well as all unibody MacBook Pros.
It’s important to understand that Data Doubler completely replaces your SuperDrive—but the MacBook Air has demonstrated that losing a DVD drive is not a huge deal these days. All of the tools for the upgrade are included, which means you can just follow the videos OWC has on its site and you’ll be good to go. Once installed, you can treat the drive however you’d like: as an individual volume, one large one in conjunction with the existing drive, RAID-0, Time Machine, or even as a pure Windows drive. (Wait, did we just say that?) In any case, it’s a darn good deal for less than $200, assuming you want to carry a mountain of data everywhere you go.
- Google releases Google Street View app for iOS
- Apple admits Apple Music still needs work, says iTunes downloads remain strong
- Judge approves $415M settlement in anti-poaching lawsuit
- Report: Apple to debut ‘iPad Pro’ on Sept. 9
- iPhone 6S to use 7000 series aluminum from Apple Watch Sport
- CBS Sports to stream Super Bowl 50, select NFL games on Apple TV
- Report: New Apple TV gets A8 chip, but not 4K support
- Report: New Apple TV will feature universal search, cost $149
- Retrial for damages in Apple patent case set for March or April
- Google omits HealthKit support from Android Wear iOS app
- Belkin WeMo + OSRAM Lightify White Tunable Starter Set
- Logitech Logi BLOK cases for iPad mini + iPad Air 2
- IK Multimedia iKlip Case for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?