OWC Data Doubler
If you’re running out of storage space on your MacBook or MacBook Pro, haven’t used your SuperDrive in years, and don’t mind doing a little bit of surgery, you’re exactly the person OWC has in mind with its Data Doubler. This DIY mounting kit comes with a 1TB drive, so you can upgrade your Mac to internal storage of up to 1.75TB, or a full 2TB if you also swap out the drive that came with your Mac. Data Doubler fits in unibody MacBooks—white and aluminum—as well as all unibody MacBook Pros.
It’s important to understand that Data Doubler completely replaces your SuperDrive—but the MacBook Air has demonstrated that losing a DVD drive is not a huge deal these days. All of the tools for the upgrade are included, which means you can just follow the videos OWC has on its site and you’ll be good to go. Once installed, you can treat the drive however you’d like: as an individual volume, one large one in conjunction with the existing drive, RAID-0, Time Machine, or even as a pure Windows drive. (Wait, did we just say that?) In any case, it’s a darn good deal for less than $200, assuming you want to carry a mountain of data everywhere you go.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?