OWC Data Doubler
If you’re running out of storage space on your MacBook or MacBook Pro, haven’t used your SuperDrive in years, and don’t mind doing a little bit of surgery, you’re exactly the person OWC has in mind with its Data Doubler. This DIY mounting kit comes with a 1TB drive, so you can upgrade your Mac to internal storage of up to 1.75TB, or a full 2TB if you also swap out the drive that came with your Mac. Data Doubler fits in unibody MacBooks—white and aluminum—as well as all unibody MacBook Pros.
It’s important to understand that Data Doubler completely replaces your SuperDrive—but the MacBook Air has demonstrated that losing a DVD drive is not a huge deal these days. All of the tools for the upgrade are included, which means you can just follow the videos OWC has on its site and you’ll be good to go. Once installed, you can treat the drive however you’d like: as an individual volume, one large one in conjunction with the existing drive, RAID-0, Time Machine, or even as a pure Windows drive. (Wait, did we just say that?) In any case, it’s a darn good deal for less than $200, assuming you want to carry a mountain of data everywhere you go.
- Analyst claims new iPad mini, gold Apple Watch colors coming this year
- iPod touch, nano, and shuffle color comparison photos
- iPod touch 6G: Unboxing + comparison photos
- iFixit posts teardown of sixth-gen iPod touch
- Apple and GSMA in talks to adopt embedded SIM technology
- New iOS scam surfaces as crash warnings in Safari browser popups
- Initial benchmarks show new iPod touch running slightly slower than iPhone 6
- Apple unveils new iPod touch, new nano and shuffle colors
- Logitech debuts Logi BLOK cases for iPad Air 2
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?