OWC Data Doubler
If you’re running out of storage space on your MacBook or MacBook Pro, haven’t used your SuperDrive in years, and don’t mind doing a little bit of surgery, you’re exactly the person OWC has in mind with its Data Doubler. This DIY mounting kit comes with a 1TB drive, so you can upgrade your Mac to internal storage of up to 1.75TB, or a full 2TB if you also swap out the drive that came with your Mac. Data Doubler fits in unibody MacBooks—white and aluminum—as well as all unibody MacBook Pros.
It’s important to understand that Data Doubler completely replaces your SuperDrive—but the MacBook Air has demonstrated that losing a DVD drive is not a huge deal these days. All of the tools for the upgrade are included, which means you can just follow the videos OWC has on its site and you’ll be good to go. Once installed, you can treat the drive however you’d like: as an individual volume, one large one in conjunction with the existing drive, RAID-0, Time Machine, or even as a pure Windows drive. (Wait, did we just say that?) In any case, it’s a darn good deal for less than $200, assuming you want to carry a mountain of data everywhere you go.
- Tips app debuts in iOS 8 beta 4
- iTunes 12 makes its first appearance with iOS-style design
- Apple releases fourth beta of iOS 8
- Forensic scientist notes iOS ‘back doors’
- Eighth annual iTunes Festival announced
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Bio Inc.
- EU criticizes Apple for in-app purchases (Update)
- Sue Wagner joins Apple board of directors as Bill Campbell retires
- Apps of the Week: Overcast, Ingress, Endless Numbers 1.2 + more
- iPhone 6: 1810 mAh battery, improved color 13MP camera?
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- JBL Synchros E50BT Over-Ear Headphones
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads