OWC Mercury Helios PCIe Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis
Following on the heels of mLogic’s mLink, OWC’s Mercury Helios PCIe Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis ($349) has arrived as a less expensive alternative in a slightly less attractive package. They both achieve the same end: any Thunderbolt-equipped Mac can use a half-length PCIe card that was formerly compatible only with the Mac Pro. PCIe cards can be used for everything from flash storage to video capture, enabling Mac Minis and iMacs to serve as professional-class workstations.
There are a few key differences between the two companies’ enclosures. We prefer the industrial design of mLink, but Mercury Helios is $50 less expensive. The latter doesn’t have a power button; instead, it turns on and off automatically with your Mac. They both have a pair of Thunderbolt ports on the back, allowing you to daisy-chain multiple devices. It’s nice to know there are a pair of good options on the market for those who need expandability accessories.
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Toyota currently has ‘no plans’ to adopt CarPlay in the US
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- iWalk Rugged Power Case for iPhone 6
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?
- How do I find and remove only downloaded tracks with iTunes Match?