Parallels Software Parallels Desktop 10
Every year, Parallels releases a new version of its eponymous PC emulator for Macs, and with OS X Yosemite just around the corner, so is Parallels Desktop 10 ($80). Boasting Yosemite support and “cool new features of Yosemite in your Windows apps,” including Mac-style social media sharing within Windows, version 10 also promises the typical speed and performance increases—this time, 48% faster opening of Windows documents, 50% improvements in speed, and 30% better battery life than before. You now have the ability to easily optimize the Windows virtual machine for specific purposes such as productivity or gaming; improved virtual disk and 10% better memory management systems reduce the app’s footprint on your computer, as well.
The core of Parallels Desktop remains its ability to run a complete Windows environment—or just individual apps—from inside OS X, without needing to use Boot Camp to restart your Mac and lose the OS X interface. All versions of Windows from 3.11 to 8.1 are supported, as are numerous non-Microsoft OSes such as Android, Chrome, and various flavors of Linux. In addition to the under-the-hood tweaks, Parallels 10 adds Yosemite-specific features such as iCloud Drive, iPhoto Library, and iPhone calling support. You can even keep Windows 8’s famous Start Screen grid superimposed on your Mac desktop if you want to integrate the two OSes together. Parallels’ $80 asking price drops to $50 for upgrading users of versions 8 or 9, and $40 for students.
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Apple sued over iWatch trademark it doesn’t own
- Apple progressing in TV service negotiations, aiming for fall debut
- Final major bank signs on as Apple Pay goes live in UK
- Apple releases iTunes 12.2.1 with iTunes Match, Apple Music fixes
- Big pharma firms looking to integrate ResearchKit
- M.I.A. project joins the ranks of Apple Music-exclusives
- Apple’s cut of streaming music rivals’ profits sparks antitrust inquiry
- New iPods coming July 14?
- Apple releases iOS 9 public beta
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?