Parallels Software Parallels Desktop 9
Well, this isn’t terribly surprising: with a new version of OS X just around the corner, Parallels Software has a new version of its Windows-running Mac software ready to go. Parallels Desktop 9 ($80) will be available on September 5 as a fresh download, or can be grabbed now as an upgrade to older versions. As with every new edition, version 9 brings increased speed and fresh features, plus support for the latest PC and Mac operating systems, including the yet-to-be-released Windows 8.1 and Mavericks.
Many of the new features in Parallels 9 bring Apple-developed Mac functionality to the Windows side of things. For example, PowerNap can now update Windows apps in the background, and tapping on a word with three-fingers brings up the dictionary, just like in OS X. There’s also support for Firewire and Thunderbolt accessories, with no extra hassle. As for speed, Parallels claims 40% better disk performance, 25% faster virtual machine shutdowns, and a 15% boost to 3-D graphics and web browsing. There are also optimizations for iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, and SkyDrive, among the many other updates.
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?